Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2020

What's Going On?

I do my best in this blog to share uplifting inspirational messages and insights that will serve to support others on their spiritual journeys. Today as I began writing, I wasnt sure I would be in a space to offer anything uplifting or insightful.

To be perfectly honest, I was feeling weary, lonely, confused, and apathetic. I could not seem to muster the motivation for much of anything, including writing this post. I wondered if it was a mild episodic depression. I knew I was not clinically depressed. I just knew nothing interested me. I started to read and soon found my mind wandering. Nothing I read did the trick of lifting my spirits or inspiring me. In fact, earlier as I was reading I felt the sudden urge to throw the book across the room. I resisted, however. Maybe I should have given in. It might have been cathartic.

I chose to stop right where I was, go within and ask, Whats Going On?”

Then, I was reminded of a book I ordered and received a while back but hadnt read. It is a publication of The Center for Action and Contemplation, the organization founded by Fr. Richard Rohr. The book is one of a series entitled Oneing – An Alternative Orthodoxy. This one is a collection of articles focused on the topic, Liminal Space.

As I began to read, the Universe through Fr. Rohr and the first three pages of the introduction in this little book, reminded me what I have been experiencing and continue to move through. It is liminality.” Fr. Rohr says,

Liminality is a form of holding the tension between one space and another. It is in these transitional moments of our lives that authentic transformation can happen. Otherwise, it is just business as usual and an eternally boring, status quo existence.”

He further says,

[We stand] on the threshold between who we are and who we can become, if we are willing to let go of what holds us back…If we are able to stand it and stand there, liminality is likely to induce an inner crisis.”

I know that I am not alone. I know that many, if not most of us, are experiencing liminality in one form or another. The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted our usual way of being. It has created for us an opportunity to be in the space between what was and what will be. The uncertainly can be disconcerting and disheartening.

The enforced distancing between us and those we love and care about in itself creates tension. We are wired for connection. When that need is not met, we feel the pain of it. It can stimulate episodic depression, loneliness, and confusion.


In addition, the racial unrest and political climate we are currently experiencing has added to tension we feel whether or not we are consciously aware of it. Each of us participates in the collective consciousness and each of us is affected by it in one way or another. We are in a transitional space in our country, indeed in the world.
 

While liminality can be a powerful space in which to be because of the opportunity for transformation, it can also be an uncomfortable space. It invites us to question everything we think we know and everything we have thought ourselves to be. It invites us to release all that we have allowed to hold us back from being the full expression of the Christ that is our potential.

It is tempting to do whatever we can to avoid the feeling associated with liminality. We may use food, shopping, sugar, alcohol, sex, drugs or many other escape mechanisms. The greatest opportunity for transformation, however, as challenging as it may be, is to be present with the feelings. It is important that we do our best not to avoid them, push them down or judge ourselves for having them. They can be our teachers and our guides.

If you are experiencing liminality, I encourage you not to engage in patterns of unhealthy behavior. I can personally speak to this because there are many that are all too familiar to me. Likewise, while it is important and necessary to spend time alone, please do not isolate. I encourage you to reach out to someone who can support you, someone who will listen without judgment and without trying to fix” it for you. We are in this together. We need each other!

Whats Going On?

We are in liminal space, individually and collectively. This is a pivotal time in the evolution of human consciousness. We have an opportunity to participate and engage consciously in the process.

I encourage you to know that we are birthing a new reality. It will not be painless. It will not be without challenges. Keep breathing. It will be worth it for ourselves and for those who will stand upon our shoulders.

8 comments :

  1. Thanks . . . liminality is a new word for me. Reminds me of a phrase from olden days study . . . holding the space . . . so as a Light Being I will practice liminality and hold the space in the God Frequency for myself and all spiritual beings being human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message. Thank you, David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, David. Words I needed to hear at the exact moment I needed to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend David, Your honesty reminds me that when I feel I would be happier if I had this or that, I am trippin. It reminds me that comparing my life to yours robs my joy. It reminds me that I am only as happy as I can feel inside right now without anything added. It reminds me I am not alone. And it reminds me what powerful seeds are planted when a fellow human Is strong enough to be vulnerable. I love who you are in the world dear friend. -Td

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. A much needed reminder. Sending you blessings as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your honesty and continued inspiration, David. You are not alone. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow , what a relief to know I am not the only person feeling this exact way . You are and continue to be such a gift in our lives . Keep shining your light my dear friend in a world , where darkness is easily found .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post David. I have been struggling to find words to fit what I am feeling during this time and "liminality" is perfect. Indeed, this is such an uncertain time and we are all just waiting to see what will happen next - it can be very stressful and uncomfortable. It is a comfort to read words that reinforce that we are all going through an important cosmic transition and to hang in there!

    ReplyDelete