Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2020

On Wings of Spirit

Last Tuesday, soon after returning home from my retreat in the mountains, I learned from a Facebook post that one of my spiritual mothers had made her transition. I don’t use that term flippantly. Diadra Price was one of only two women who I consider my spiritual mothers. The other is Rev. Dr. Kay Hunter who made her transition nearly two years ago.

The news of Diadra’s transition hit me harder emotionally than anything in recent past. It hit me much harder than I would have anticipated, actually.

I first met Diadra in 1995 when she arrived in Dallas to become the interim minister at Unity of Dallas where I was then attending. After her first service, I purchased a cassette tape (yes, cassette) of her message. I listened to that message over and over and over again. I probably could have recited it verbatim. Her words touched my heart in a way that none had before. For me, she was the embodiment of the Divine Feminine energy that I was so longing to experience.

After leaving Unity of Dallas, she and her husband John founded Wings of Spirit, a nonprofit spiritual organization dedicated to assisting all in the evolution of consciousness. I had the privilege and honor of working with Diadra for about a year to organize and present weekly evening services in a wedding chapel in Dallas. After a time, she and John purchased a beautiful home and retreat center in Boone, NC where I was blessed to attend one of Diadra’s retreats.


While we had not been in close communication for a while, I always knew that she was just a phone call away. Over the years, I often reached out to her in times of my own “spiritual crises.” She always said just what I needed to hear, even if I didn’t always like hearing it. That is what good spiritual mothers do, right? I asked her to be the officiating minister at my ordination service in 2017. While she wanted to do it, she was unfortunately unable to travel at the time.

Even though she is no longer on this physical plane, I know that her spirit remains ever-close and ever-ready to assist all of us who remain on this earthly plane in remembering who we are.

Reflecting back on my final hike on Tuesday before turning home, I wonder now if Diadra was with me. As I hiked, I heard in my head a loving, yet stern voice telling me that it is time to grow up, get real with myself, with everyone else in my life and stop playing around. Doesn’t that sound like a mother?

I know she always saw more in me than I was able to see in myself. Perhaps this was her way of reminding me to remember who I am, to stop playing small, to step out and live life with bold abandon. I am choosing to think so anyway.

Diadra Price was a mentor, a minister, a guide, and a friend. Her spirit, wisdom and grace will always be a part of me. I know this is true for many others who were touched by her presence. I am eternally grateful and blessed to have known her and to have loved her.  Blessings on your journey, dear one. Soar on Wings of Spirit!

7 comments :

  1. Oh David My Heart is heavy sharing this loss with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I holding you in my heart as always. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this special relationship with us, David. Holding you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete