Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Mastering Freedom

I am continuing in this post with the series I began last week on answering the question…

“What does it mean to be a Spiritual Master?”

I encourage each of us to affirm daily:

I am a Spiritual Master
I am awakened to my Mastery
I am mastering my Mastery

With continued repetition we align the energy fields of our minds, spirits and bodies with these statements of Truth.



In my lesson at Unity Spiritual Center Denver this past Sunday, June 25, 2017 (listen here), I stated that I am approaching this exploration of Spiritual Mastery from what I have termed “The 3 R’s of Spiritual Mastery.” They are: Recognition, Realization and Revelation.

RECOGNITION can better be understood as “Re-cognition.” By that I mean that we are not learning anything new. Instead, we are remembering or re-cognizing the Truth that is held eternally within our hearts as the essence of who we are – Christ – the only begotten idea in God Mind for each of us. “Re-cognition” is primarily a mental process.

REALIZATION, for my purpose, is better stated as “Real-I-Iz-ation.” By that I mean to denote the process by which we fully embrace the consciousness of the “Real I” which again is Christ. While “Re-cognition” is a mental process, “Real-I-Iz-ation” is the knowing of the heart. It requires us to take the awareness of the Truth of our being-ness into our spirits and embody it.

REVELATION, or “Reveal-ation” is the process by which we demonstrate through our thoughts, words and actions what we have “re-cognized” and “real-i-iz-ed.” As Unity’s fifth basic principle states, we must live the Truth we know. Through “Reveal-ation” we are revealing to ourselves, and the world, the Truth that we are.

I am a Spiritual Master is a statement of “Re-cognition.”
I am awakened to my Mastery is a statement of “Real-I-Iz-ation.”
I am mastering my Mastery is a statement of “Reveal-ation.”

In my lesson (listen here), I explored what a Spiritual Master knows about ‘Abundance.’ In honor of our observance of Independence Day coming up on July 4th, let’s explore what a Spiritual Master knows about Freedom.

A Spiritual Master knows that knowing the Truth sets you free.

The Spiritual Master, Jesus of Nazareth, when speaking to the Jews who believed in him said to them, “if you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” (John 8: 31 & 32) Quite often, the only portion of that Scripture we hear and that we are most familiar with is “the truth will set you free.” However, taking that out of context dilutes the teaching. Jesus, speaking from the Christ consciousness, says that we will know the truth by “following in his word,” in other words by following his teaching we may all attain his level of oneness consciousness. Only when we know the Truth of our Oneness will we truly be free. Knowing the Truth of ourselves as God expressing sets us free in mind, spirit and body.

In her seminal text, Lessons in Truth, author H. Emilie Cady says,

“Man will grow up through various stages and by various processes to the divine or spiritual understanding wherein he is one with the Father, and wherein he is free from all suffering, because he has conscious dominion over all things. Somewhere on this journey the human consciousness, or intellect, comes to a place where it gladly bows to its spiritual self and confesses that this spiritual self, its Christ, is highest and is Lord…Everyone must sooner or later come to this point of experience.”

Knowing the Truth of the Power and Wisdom of God indwelling sets us free from the self-imposed bondage of our own limited thinking and beliefs.

A Spiritual Master knows that only we can set ourselves free.

In the Bible passage referenced above, those to whom Jesus was speaking said to him, “We are sons of Abraham. We have never been enslaved to anyone. What do you mean we will be set free?”  To which Jesus replied, “Anyone who sins is a slave to sin.” In my lesson on Sunday, June 18 (listen here), I discussed Unity’s interpretation of “sin.”¹

Metaphysically, Jesus is stating that anyone who fails to “Real-I-Ize” his True Nature as the Christ is “missing the mark” and will forever be enslaved to the belief in separation and subject to the associated fears. Knowing the Truth in mind and heart frees us from enslavement to “sin,” saves us from fear and empowers us to live as love in the world. It is a choice, one that each of us may make for ourselves moment-by-moment. There is no one, no teacher, no guru, no savior, other than the one we see in the mirror, who can set us free. We are the ones we have been waiting for.

A Spiritual Master know that freedom exists now.

The following is an excerpt from my book, In This Moment, Prayers from the Well of Awareness, which you may purchase here.

If time has any relevance, it is relevant solely as the present, the moment in time we can now. Only now can you have emotion. Only now can you be aware. Only now can you know. Only now can you choose. Only now can you breathe. Only now can you have any sensory experience, whether taste, touch, sight, smell or sound. Anything else is just a memory or a dream, and neither is reality in the present. What is real now is what is present in all its wonder and glory now.

The mind often longs for a past that does not exist or dreams of a future that will never be. The mind can prevent our being fully alive to the moment [and enslave us to a painful past or a hopeful future.] The awakening happens when the mind focuses on what is and allows what is to be the perfection that it is. In that holy instant, the awareness of [Oneness] reawakens. In that moment, peace is remembered, and love flows in freedom.

Now is the moment of power. It is time now for us to claim our freedom and be Spiritual Masters.

Join us on Sunday at 10:00 for our service as we explore more about Mastering Freedom.


1 comment :

  1. A great read before heading off to work.

    I am a Spiritual Master is a statement of “Re-cognition.”
    I am awakened to my Mastery is a statement of “Real-I-Iz-ation.”
    I am mastering my Mastery is a statement of “Reveal-ation.”

    ReplyDelete