Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Love in Thoughts, Words, and Actions

Earlier this week, I watched the film, King in the Wilderness, a 2018 documentary chronicling the last eighteen months in the life of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. whose birthday we will celebrate with a national holiday this coming Monday, January 18.

Prior to watching the film, I had seen other movies about his life and read some of his speeches, but this film revealed to me other aspects of a man who lived his life dedicated to the principles of nonviolence while standing for the equality of Black people and working to alleviate poverty in this country.

This film includes interviews with people who worked closely with Dr. King, including, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Andrew Young, John Lewis, Marian Wright Edelman, Xernona Clayton, and many others. They recounted personal stories of their time with him which provided a glimpse of the man and his dedication, as well as his struggles.

I was in awe as I watched the footage of Dr. King and others marching through the streets in the South and in Chicago, streets lined with white protesters shouting hate-filled speech. Seemingly unaffected by the ire of the crowd, he and the others marched on in solidarity. Even though I am convinced that they felt the sting of those words, they did not return hate with hate. As Dr. King said, “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.



These dedicated people knew that they faced the prospect of death every day, yet they continued to speak out, march, and stand for the rights of the people.  

I was equally moved to learn more about his stance in opposition to the war in Vietnam. He struggled with whether he should speak up. He knew that it would cost him. He was told by many of his advisors not to do it, but he could not remain silent. In his speech at Riverside Church in New York on April 4, 1967, he declared, “My conscience leaves me no other choice.”

His commitment to nonviolence would not let him turn a blind eye to the violence being enacted by his own country in Vietnam or remain silent. As predicted, he was slammed by the press, targeted by the U.S. Government, labeled a traitor and a communist, and turned against by some who had been his most ardent supporters. In her interview for the film, Xernona Clayton shared that this was one of his greatest disappointments.

I was reminded of a 2005 interview with Dr. King’s widow, Coretta Scott King, conducted by Tavis Smiley for PBS. During the interview Mr. Smiley asked Mrs. King if she thought that Dr. King’s nonviolent strategies would be effective in volatile world political climate of the time. He specifically addressed whether she thought they would be effective in response to the events of 9/11 and in dealing with Osama bin Laden, asking her if a nonviolent response would prevail in such extreme circumstances.

I was pleased to hear her unequivocal “Yes.” In fact, she posited that if we had been practicing and promoting nonviolence in our diplomatic relations around the world in the decades since Dr. King’s assassination that there would not have been an Osama bin Laden or others like him. Mrs. King further stated that the concept of “nonviolence” is based on unconditional love as taught by Jesus Christ and that when we embrace unconditional love as our guiding principle and respond from that consciousness, we naturally live nonviolence. Nonviolence is not passive resistance, but active response expressed as unconditional love from the realization of our unity in God and our recognition of our shared humanity. 

I wonder what Mrs. King’s response would be if the question were to be asked of her today considering the violence enacted by militant groups against our nation’s Capital last week. I can only assume that she would still respond with an unequivocal and resounding “Yes!”

I ask myself how I can embrace the tenets of nonviolence as I watch the news reports and learn more about the organized movement to take over the Capitol Building and the continued threats of violence before and during the inauguration of President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris. I know that violence is not limited to taking up arms and storming the Capitol Building. Violence also includes violent thoughts and words expressed toward others.
I can do my best to refrain from engaging in those.

I can choose love, as Dr. King said. I can choose to give myself empathy and compassion when I feel afraid and angry. I can soothe myself with prayer and meditation, walks in nature, or by reading uplifting material. I can also choose to extend that empathy and compassion to others who feel afraid and angry and who choose to express their fear and anger in destructive ways. I can extend to them loving thoughts and kind words, rather than harsh judgment and condemnation.

If called upon, I can and may also choose to follow the example of Dr. King and others who were willing to march in the streets in solidarity with others who believe strongly that all people are created equal; that everyone has the right to live in peace and prosperity; that truth is important; that everyone’s voice matters; and that however flawed it may be our democratic republic is worth saving.

As we celebrate Dr. King’s birthday, I encourage us all to honor his commitment to nonviolence and embrace that consciousness and practice for ourselves and others. If we are deeply committed, as we proclaim, to follow in the footsteps of our elder brother and teacher, Jesus Christ, who clearly taught us to love each other – we can do nothing less.

3 comments :