Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2020

What Were You Thinking?

My prayer partner said something during our weekly call this week that hit me like the proverbial “ton of bricks.”

We began our call commiserating about the challenges of ministry in the virtual age. She shared with me that she had officiated her first virtual memorial service the night before our call. She talked about her anxiety and concern regarding the technology learning curve. She expressed her sadness about the lack of personal connection.

I expressed my struggles with getting accustomed to speaking to a camera, rather than to people. I talked about how I miss the human connection and being in the flow of the energy which has always been such an invaluable aspect of Sunday service. I shared with her how the energy of the building seems so different now that there is so little activity going on and how I miss the vital aliveness that we had before we suspended meetings here.

Almost in unison, we said “ministry is difficult and challenging right now.” Then, she said, “I just heard what I said. I have been affirming that ministry is hard. Is it any wonder that that is what I am experiencing?”

That’s when it hit me. I have been affirming the same things. That is the energy vibration that I have been resonating. And, I have been feeling the effects of it. At times, I have felt weary. I have felt apathy. I have been uninspired. I have trudged through my days with very little enthusiasm or joy. Is it any wonder?

Yes, two Unity ministers who teach the power of our thoughts/feelings and words, were not practicing what we “preach.” In fact, we were practicing the opposite of what we “preach.”

To top it off, I have been facilitating a class on The Five Basic Unity Principles, one of which states that we experience life according to our way of thinking and feeling.

My prayer partner and I agreed that we are going to change the vibration of our thoughts/feelings and words about ministry in the virtual age. We are going to affirm that ministry is exciting and full of opportunities for us to learn and grow in our capacities to master technology, learn and practice new ways of staying connected to our community, and embrace innovative, leading-edge, transformational teaching in our respective ministries.

I share this with you as an example of how easy it is to get sucked into the vortex of negativity. It is important for each of us to check in with ourselves and become aware of the energy of our thoughts/feelings and words. It is especially true given the gravity and complexity of the energy of the collective consciousness today concerning the pandemic, racial justice, and the political tension, all of which are permeated with the energy of fear.  

I encourage us all to continue to condition our minds with Truth through prayer, meditation, contemplation, denials and affirmations. We have the power to choose where we will place our attention and choose the thoughts to which we give power. We are not only affecting our current experience, but we are also shaping our future, both individually and collectively. Let us choose wisely.


5 comments :

  1. Thank you. Thoughts do indeed become things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch, meaning insights - Glad you resigned from the Ain't It Awful Club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your positive thoughts.....you are connecting with people in a MUCH larger geographic area. Your message is flying out there in cyberspace landing where it needs to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, David, for sharing a powerful personal story that resonates with me personally. I needed that :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of us, who are isolated most of the time, are experiencing these types of awakenings to the creep of lethargy and disengagement. How ironic that we are having a universal experience of isolation. I am focusing on the opportunities to experience awe in my natural surroundings, joy in the remote interactions, love in the connections I am blessed to enjoy, and gratitude for every breath I take that comes without the struggle that so many others are experiencing right now. I am trying to look at situations with a new sense of adventure and creativity, rather than disappointment and discouragement. I deeply appreciate the efforts the band, the AV team, the CFM leader and the ministers at USCD are making to continue to serve us safely. I believe we can transcend the illusion of separateness, and will discover that we are even more united than we ever supposed.

    ReplyDelete