Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Voices Within


Lately, I have been feeling a low level of anxiety. I am sure I am not alone in that. I have attributed it to all the uncertainty with which we are all living at this unprecedented time in our history. I don’t doubt that the issues surrounding COVID-19 play a role in our anxiousness.

However, while praying with my prayer partner today, I became consciously aware of a voice in my head that has become my constant companion. In this book, The Untethered Soul, author Michael Singer refers to this voice as the “inner roommate.”

He constantly urges me to do more, be more, give more and have more. He continually reminds me of all the things I “have” to do or “should” be doing. While I trust that he is well-meaning and only has my best interest at heart, he is quite annoying at times.

His constant reminders of the tasks I must complete do little to inspire me to do my best. If anything, they spur me to joylessly accomplish what I am doing so that I can move on to what’s next. His attempts at motivation, while seemingly rational, are not helpful.

His efforts to encourage me to improve my skills and expand my knowledge through his not-so-subtle critiques, only stir resentment and resistance in me. They certainly do not promote a desire to learn and grow.

His incessant commentary on everything I do and on everything I don’t do not only stimulates anxiety, but also triggers my defenses which often show up in me shutting down, hiding out or escaping through excessively watching television, overeating, or other avoidance strategies.

I am guessing that I am not the only one who deals with this “inner roommate” on a daily basis, especially during this time when many of us are staying at home and spending more time alone.



It has been suggested that there are several ways to deal with him. I can choose to laugh at his ridiculous antics. I can greet him with sarcasm with retorts such as, “Yeah, you’re right. I am a slacker. Get over it.” I can respond with direct defense and say, “Shut the hell up. I don’t need your input.” I have tried all of these. I haven’t found them to be very helpful, however.

Instead, I have found it helpful to allow him to have his voice. The following practice has proved beneficial. I offer it here in hopes that it will help you, as well.

Position two chairs facing each other. Sit in one of the chairs. Imagine that the “inner roommate” is sitting in the other. Engage him in conversation. With as much detachment as you can muster, listen intently to what he has to say. Listen beyond the words to hear the feelings that lie beneath. Lean into what he might be trying to achieve through his incessant chatter. Give him as much empathy as possible just as you would a cherished friend. Once you feel complete and have a sense of relaxation, say, “Thank you. I appreciate you. I will take what you have shared with me and use it for good,” or something similar.

Empathy, compassion and understanding for our “inner roommate” helps to soothe him. It also helps us to connect with some of the deeper longings within us that we might have been ignoring.

I have found that this “inner roommate” truly does have my best interest at heart. He just doesn’t know the most effective ways to communicate his care and concern. I have to listen more deeply for what he is trying to convey.

It is also important for me to remember that I have another “inner roommate.” He speaks in a still, small voice that can often be drowned out by the other one. This other “inner roommate” is the voice of Spirit that speaks in my heart, not in my head. I trust that this voice is constantly guiding me to the highest and best unfolding of my soul.

Even though I may, at times, not understand it, and even though, at times, I may argue with it, I know that this voice is my constant friend and companion. It lives within my heart and speaks to me of love.

I have learned that I can use the practice outlined above to communicate more directly with this voice, as well. It helps to personify these voices, assume the seat of the witnessing presence, and hear their deepest desires.

We are all blessed by these “inner roommates.” While it may be tempting to think of one as “bad” and the other as “good,” I have not found that approach to be helpful. Each of them has something valuable to contribute to our lives if we are willing to connect and listen.

Today, as I listened through my anxiety to my “inner roommate,” I discovered a deep longing to make a meaningful contribution to my spiritual community and to the world. While not in the most helpful ways, my “inner roommate” was doing what he believed would support me. He was only sharing from what he knew to do. As I connected empathically and compassionately with him, I felt my anxiety relax. I was then more open to connecting deeply with the voice of Spirit in my heart and open to the guidance I received. This post is one of the outcomes.

The next time you feel anxious, I encourage you to recognize that your “inner roommate” is doing its best to communicate with you. When you can, stop. Connect. Assume the posture of the witnessing presence. Listen with empathy and compassion. Receive the gift. 


6 comments :

  1. This excert resonate'inner roommate' helps to soothe him. It also helps us to connect with some of the deeper longings within us that we might have been ignoring. I have found that this 'inner roommate' truly does have my best interest at heart. He just doesn’t know the most effective ways to communicate his care and concern. I have to listen more deeply for what he is trying to convey."

    It paralleled my experience with my construct of an internal personal board of directors (Sage, Guardian and Muse) an the vast differences between what they suggest when fueled by fear vs. love.

    I too find myself struggling considerably--especially with the added stressors of my spouse's continued scary and debilitating health challenges. Please hold sacred space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deborah. You and Wilson are in my heart and prayers. Sending loving and healing energy to you both.

      Delete
  2. I've been practicing Karm Yog, a form of devoting work tasks to the god of my understanding. Focusing on tasks and devoting them to the god of my understanding has helped. When tasks are complete to a certain point - part of Karm Yog is to say - DONE! Detach from the outcome! From something as simple as making a salad to as complex as work projects. Expressing devotion through tasks has helped me to focus and increase gratitude that I'm "able" to have a salad and am physically "able" to make a salad. It quiets the mind. And, detaching from the outcome gets me out of self - am I doing something because I want something in return, either at work or home? Do I want recognition, a promotion, people to be pleased with me? That's pretty selfish stuff at my core. Like with anything - it's a practice. Practice not perfection. I can relate to telling myself the lie that I should be more productive when in fact, I'm in fear - and beating myself up makes it even worse. If I could remove my own fear, I most certainly would. I pause when agitated or doubtful and ask for god to direct my thinking. I pray each day (if not several times a day) for god to remove fear - but if I go back to my busy mind, chances are I'm back in self will--that hasn't worked very well. While I'm yammering about Karm Yog, I do need to remind myself to practice it throughout today and get back to work. Thank god I have a job right now. There is plenty of "opportunity" to practice our spiritual principles right now. Laughing. Great article Pastor David, I fully relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for introducing me to the practice. I had not heard of it before. I will do more research. Blessings!

      Delete