Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Easter Journey


Today, as I have reflected on Easter, I am reminded of a photo I have of my mother, sister and me that was taken on Easter morning when I was around three-years-old. My mother is dressed in a yellow dress, an Easter bonnet, and high heels. If you knew my mother you would know how unusual that was. My sister is in her ruffles, socks and patent leather shoes. I am dressed in white shorts, jacket and tie, with knee-socks and black loafers. I’m sure I loved getting dressed up, even then.

Easter was the most important Sunday of the year. Everyone donned their finest clothes, most often newly purchased for the day, and after attending church service came home for a special home-cooked dinner, usually pot roast with all the side dishes, along with my favorite homemade biscuits.

Even though I don’t have vivid memories of that particular Easter Sunday, except what stirs in my mind as I gaze at the photograph, I recall fondly those times spent at my grandmother’s house surrounded by family, laughter and love. At least, that’s what I choose to remember. I’m sure there was plenty of arguing too.

Today, as I look at the photo, I am also reminded of the young age at which my indoctrination in the theory of substitutionary atonement began. This is the predominate Christian belief that Jesus was sent by God, the Father, to sacrifice his life in atonement for the sins of humanity, and that through his blood sacrifice, we are saved from eternal damnation so long as we profess belief in him.

Until I was in my late 20’s, I had no idea that there was any other perspective from which to view the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. I thought that you believed it and were saved, or you didn’t believe it and were condemned to eternity in hell.

Imagine my delight and surprise when I was introduced to A Course in Miracles, which at first seemed heretical. Soon after that, I found New Thought through Unity and Religious Science. I was amazed to learn that there was an entire movement of people who believed differently and who were not being struck deaf, dumb, or blind because of it.

I admit that when I first heard someone say that they did not believe that Jesus saved us through his crucifixion and resurrection, I was somewhat shocked. I expected the ceiling to come crashing in at any moment. Yet, I was intrigued. The more I read and studied about this exciting, yet, at the time, somewhat weird belief system, the more I resonated with it. I was home. I jumped in with both feet.



Then came Easter. I was confused all over again. I couldn’t understand why, if we don’t subscribe to the doctrine of the blood sacrifice of Jesus, which is what Easter is all about, then why make such a big deal out of it. I mean, they were going all out with a sunrise service, special music, and communion – the whole nine yards. It would require a great deal more reading, study, prayer and meditation before I could reconcile Easter with New Thought.

I am pleased to report, especially now that I am a Unity minister, that I have come to appreciate the observance of Easter. I even look forward to it. I now understand that Jesus is the prototype for each of us. We are invited and encouraged to follow Jesus and to live what he experienced, metaphysically and metaphorically speaking, of course. Jesus is our way shower, and his life is the perfect roadmap that we can follow if we choose to be on the path of conscious awakening and spiritual illumination, what Christianity would term “salvation.”

Easter is the culmination of a journey that Jesus walked on his way to the final surrender of his attachment to the things of the world, including his body, and the ultimate realization of truth and power of eternal life as represented by the resurrection. Jesus fully embodied the Christ consciousness. As Charles Fillmore, cofounder of Unity, said,

“His way of attainment must be our way. He acknowledged himself to be the Son of God (Matthew 14:33). This calls for nothing less on our part than a definite recognition of ourselves as sons of God, right here and now, regardless of appearances to the contrary.”

In my own words, the following are the steps I have identified that Jesus took on his journey.

Willingness to let go of the known in favor of what is yet to be discovered as represented by his baptism.

Acceptance of himself as God made manifest – the Christ – the only begotten idea in the Mind of God for all creation as represented by the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Dedication to reconciling the aspects of himself that he would rather have kept hidden (ego, shadow) as represented by his time in the desert.

Surrender of the personal will in service to the higher will for Universal good as he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Divestment of all attachment to the things of the world, including his physical form as represented by his acceptance of betrayal, passion and crucifixion.

Actualization of himself as spirit.

Realization of himself as eternal life.

Our opportunity is to embrace this path as our own as we follow Jesus, our way shower. While it appears in the Jesus story that these where solitary events in his life, they most likely will not be in ours. Our path is not a linear one, nor is each step a single event. Our journey to “salvation” is unique to each of us, but the stops along the way are similar.

Similarly, Easter need not be a once-a-year celebration. We can celebrate the meaning of Easter every day as we make our daily journey of Christ embodiment. 

Easter – Enjoy the journey!


1 comment :

  1. What you have written here is the Easter gift I needed during this time of interior celebration of the Resurrection. They help me with the the new world reality I am experiencing on the physical level. They lay out the journey steps to take toward that final realization of myself as eternal life and manifestation of my own emerging Christ consciousness. Alleluia!

    ReplyDelete