Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Following Jesus


Last night, at the beginning of a parenting class that we are hosting at Unity Spiritual Center Denver, I was given a few minutes to speak to the class about Unity and what we offer at our center. With few exceptions, the vast majority of the thirty or so participants do not attend Unity services. It was a welcomed opportunity for me to introduce them, albeit briefly, to what we are about.

During my talk, one of the participants who does attend Unity, said “talk about the way shower.” I knew immediately that he wanted me to share about how Unity views Jesus as the example of what is possible for each of us, rather than as the one and only son of God sent to save us through his death on the cross. He and I have had a lengthy conversation about how Unity differs from traditional Christianity in our approach to understanding the life and legacy of Jesus. It was one of the things that first attracted him to Unity. 

My initial reaction to his request was resistance. Not knowing who was in the room, or where they might be coming from in their religious view, I hesitated. However, I moved through it quickly and shared a sentence or two about Jesus as our way shower.


This morning, during my quiet time, I reflected on my hesitancy. I realized that, more often than I care to admit, I resist speaking what I know as truth when I fear that someone will have a negative reaction to it. I have empathy and compassion for myself in this regard because I have experienced others being triggered by my views and arguing with me to convince me that I am wrong.

As I reflected further upon the topic I was hesitant to discuss, however, I realized that if I am to truly follow in Jesus’s footsteps as my way shower as I profess to do, it is imperative that I boldly and unabashedly speak what I know in my heart to be true. From what we know of the life of Jesus, he did not hesitate to speak truth to whomever was in his presence. 

Further, I reflected on other ways that Jesus was a great teacher and way shower. I also reviewed whether or not I am truly living his message.

I sat with this awareness as I entered into my meditation time during which I invoked the spirit of Jesus. I imagined him reaching out to me, grasping my hand as we began to walk together. Hymn lyrics began to sing in my head,

Where he leads me I will follow.
Where he leads me I will follow.
Where he leads me I will follow.
I’ll go with him, with him, all the way. 

In that moment, it occurred to me that today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent in the Christian liturgical calendar. Lent is traditionally a time of penitence, fasting, and repentance of sins in preparation for the celebration of Easter. The encounter with Jesus took on a deeper meaning within the association of Lent.

No, I am not returning to the religion of my childhood. However, I am making the conscious choice to use this Lenten season to more fully explore what it means for me to follow in the way of Jesus the Christ; to live into our Unity belief that Jesus is our way shower. I do not yet know what direction that will take, but I am open to the possibilities.

I invite you to join me in this exploration. Beginning Tuesday, March 3, at 6:00 MT, and continuing each Tuesday through April 7, I will host a video call on Zoom for anyone interested in joining me for this journey. If you would like to participate, please email me at David@UnityDenver.org, and I will send you the necessary information.

My hope is that I, that we, will more fully embrace, embody, and live the example of our way shower – Jesus.

6 comments :

  1. Thank you David for making available a new way of exploring what it means to follow Christ. My faith leans towards recognizing the courage Jesus demonstrated, i.e. demonstrable acts, I appreciate very much your openness to looking at Jesus with a fresh set of eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The example of unconditional love that Jesus lived and taught has been the lodestar of my life. My journey through various church affiliations has been an effort to draw ever nearer to the power and practice he exemplified and manifested; to join in Oneness with all of creation. I deeply appreciate the simplicity and authenticity I find at Unity Spiritual Center Denver, where the excessive traditions of pomp and circumstance, power and orthodoxy have been released so that personal experience and true connection can be the focus. Thank you for your honest, humble, compassionate leadership to our community, David. This journey toward Jesus will be deeply meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see how this insight is unfolding for you. Blessed be, Dear One.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I promise I didn’t mean to put pressure on you, that one reason is why I am a believer in Unity. It is a big struggle of mine to worship a human, and your teaching have helped our family understand he is the perfect teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a gift to me. Thank you! It sparked so many positive things for me. You were the voice of Spirit for me in that moment. I am so grateful!

      Delete
    2. And, I am happy to know I have helped you and your family have a different perspective of Jesus.

      Delete