Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

What Feeds Your Soul?


In last week’s post, I talked about the “highlands” experience I had while spending time in Breckenridge a couple of weeks ago. I shared that when I left there I felt grief which stayed with me for several days. I believed that once I was back home I would not be able to have the same level of connection I felt while there. With help, I was reminded that no location, not even the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, is the source of my peace, joy and freedom.

As fate would have it, I had the opportunity to go back to Breckenridge for a couple of days this week. Again, as I left there, I felt a heaviness in my heart and my solar plexus. I thought, surely this is not my grief, I must be picking up on energy of the indigenous people who once inhabited the land. I was not willing to accept that the heavy energy was mine. Yet, there it was.

Today, with the help of my life coach, Deborah Jane Wells, I connected the dots. During our session, I recalled some nudges from Spirit that I had not previously associated with my heavy heart.

Last week, I had my annual physical. The physician’s assistant who performed the exam asked me all the routine questions they ask every year related to physical symptoms. I am grateful that I don’t have any. Near the end, she said, “May I ask you a question that really has nothing to do with this exam? I’m just curious.” I said, “Sure, ask away.” She asked me if, as a minister, I ever feel spiritually deprived. I thought about it for a bit, and told her that no, I don’t because I set aside time every day to read something inspiring, to pray and meditate. I assured her, and myself, that I am not deprived spiritually. At least, that’s what I thought.

While in Breckenridge this past Monday, I got to spend time with my good friend, Debra Dickinson. We walked the trail, not far from where we were staying, to see the beloved trail troll, Isak Heartstone, the creation of artist, Thomas Dambo. We also walked along the riverfront in town where we stopped for a while, sat on a bench, watched and listened to the water, and talked. I don’t recall our exact words, but I remember remarking to Debra that sitting by the river helps me to feel open and connected. Her response was something like, “It feeds your soul.”


Aha! There is it. There’s the connection.

When I spend time away from my daily routine, I allow myself the time and space to do things that feed my soul. I take walks and hikes in nature. I relax in the shade of the trees. I sit beside the stream, listen to the sound of the rushing water, and dip my hands in the icy cold water. I connect with people I love. I nurture my nature. 

When I get caught up in my daily “to-do” list, I rarely, if ever, give myself permission to do any of that, even though I have easy access to all of those things living in Denver. I tell myself things like, “I don’t have time;” “That’s a waste of time;” “I’m too busy.” I deprive myself of the spiritual nourishment my soul needs.

I now understand that the heaviness I felt when leaving Breckenridge was indeed not about the location. It was my soul’s grief. If it had words, it might have been saying something like,

“How long will I have to wait for another chance to be fed? I have been starving for this for so long. I’m grateful for the time I had, but I mourn how infrequent these times are. David, are you listening? Can you feel me? I need to be nourished. I need you to pay attention. I am here for you. Please be here for me.”

To function properly, our bodies need to be fed with healthy food, water and exercise. Likewise, our minds need to be fed with inspiring, encouraging and thought-provoking books, classes, and other learning to keep us growing and engaged. So, too, our souls need to be fed. When our souls are fed, we are more consciously connected to the beauty, wonder and mystery of life. We live more fulfilled lives when our souls are given the attention and nurture they require.

I am making the commitment to myself to more consciously and frequently engage in activities that feed my soul. In addition to prayer, meditation, and reading, I am committing to daily walks in nature, whether in my neighborhood or in nearby park. I am committing to at least a monthly hike somewhere in close proximity to home, and when I can, a more distant location. I am committing to spending time listening to music that thrills and delights me. And, I am committing to spending more time with people I love and admire.

As we feed our souls, our souls feed us, and we live in closer alignment to who we have come here to be.  What feeds your soul? I encourage you to make a list and commit to doing them.

7 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Blessings! Thank you for connecting with this message.

      Delete
  2. I wept when I read this part “How long will I have to wait for another chance to be fed? I have been starving for this for so long. I’m grateful for the time I had, but I mourn how infrequent these times are. David, are you listening? Can you feel me? I need to be nourished. I need you to pay attention. I am here for you. Please be here for me.” Bless your heart and soul. You've gotten the message and have set the intention to act upon the opportunity it offers for greater joy and equanimity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah, for your intuitive guidance in accessing this awareness. I appreciate you!

      Delete
  3. Dear David. Your courage to take holy time to feed your soul is a huge blessing to us all!!! Really as we enter in to the later phases of life these moments are what we remember and hold dear. You are a treasure on this earth at this time. Promise you will hold to this great insight:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. Please remind me if you sense that I am losing touch with this insight. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete