Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Name of the Game


J and I are in San Diego, CA this week where I am attending a two-day ministerial training seminar, as well as enjoying a couple of days of vacation. We are blessed to be staying in the home of some friends while here.

Upon arriving on Monday, we were greeted by the housekeeper who was just finishing her cleaning. I introduced myself. I said, “Hi, I am David.” With a warm gentle smile, she said, “My name is Alma.” We talked briefly while she completed her work before leaving.

Later, as I reflected on our interaction, I was struck by our different approaches to self-introduction. I said, “I am…,” while she said, “My name is…” That may seem insignificant at first glance, but it spoke to something important to me.

I recognize that it is customary in our culture to use the phraseology, “I am…” when introducing ourselves, but I now realize that I prefer Alma’s way. Whether consciously or not, when I say, “I am David” as a way of introducing myself, I am calling forth into my consciousness all that I associate with my name. I bring to the forefront of my conscious mind all my history, all the labels I have ever worn, and all the ways I have known myself. Some are positive and empowering, but some are negative and limiting. It reminded me of the importance of how we identify ourselves.


As I reflected on this, I recalled with great fondness the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, based on author Fannie Flagg’s novel by the same name. In it, a demure, obedient housewife, Evelyn Couch, portrayed by actress Kathy Bates, experiences a transformation in which she claims her power and embraces her alter-ego - Tawanda. Tawanda is an empowered woman who takes charge of her life. When she embraced her power, Evelyn no longer identified with her given name. She took on another name that more closely reflected her new self-respect.

Several years ago, one of my spiritual mentors legally changed her name to the spiritual name that was revealed to her in meditation. She believed that her new name more fully embodies the essence of her soul and spirit. When I learned of this, I spent some time in meditation asking for my spiritual name to be revealed to me. I assumed that if I had a different name, I would begin to embody it and recreate my self-image.

One day I was sitting in meditation asking for my name to be revealed when a sudden burst of wind blew through the room. I took it as a sign. Granted, I was sitting in a room with the window open. Still, it was my sign. My mind immediately went to a song from the Broadway and movie musical, Paint Your Wagon. The song goes,

A way out here they got a name for wind and rain and fire.
The rain is Tess, the fire ere Joe, and they call the wind Maria.

Maria, which I later spelled Mahriah for clarity, was my spiritual name. I knew it. I searched the web for mystical and metaphysical meanings. I found none that fit. For a time, I adopted it. No, I didn’t legally change my name. However, I did call upon the name when I needed to feel more empowered and connected to my essence. When Mahriah was at the helm, I felt stronger and more capable. I still think of Mahriah from time to time with great love and appreciation.

Today, however, as I contemplate my name and my nature, I reflect on the words of our teacher and way shower, Jesus of Nazareth, who, when speaking from the conscious awareness of his essence said things such as,

I am the way, the truth and the life. (John 14:6)

I am the light of the world. (John 8:12)

I am the bread of life. (John 6:35)

I am the resurrection and the life. (John 11:25)

All of these are expressions of one who was deeply connected with his True Nature, that which we in Unity call the Christ.

In my meditation today, it became clear to me that it is now time for me, indeed for all of us, to more fully and completely claim our true name – I Am.

I Am Christ.

I Am the Christ of God.

I Am the Word made flesh.

I Am the True Light that enlightens the world.

Introducing ourselves in this way to others who might not understand our meaning may not be the best idea. They might just call the men in white coats. However, I suggest that we begin to adopt Alma’s phraseology or something similar when introducing ourselves to others. Remembering that we give power to that with which we identify, rather than saying, “I am…” perhaps we could experiment with something like,

My name is…

I am called….

They call me…

In that way, we can comply with the social norms without fully identifying with our given name and all that it implies. We can use our given name while also knowing that we are not limited by it. I can say aloud, “Hi, my name is David,” and know in my mind and heart that, “I Am the Word” or whatever I choose to identify with in the moment.

I trust that as I, as we, begin to more fully and consciously claim our true name, we will begin to more fully embody it. In my way of thinking and understanding our Unity teaching, that is “the name of the game.”

1 comment :