Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2018

My Two-by-Four Experience


Those of us who have been around metaphysical circles have heard of the “cosmic two-by-four.” The concept refers to the idea that, in attempts to teach us lessons, the “universe” delivers progressively intense nudges to get our attention. If we fail to learn the lesson or get it “right” after several tries, the “universe” may resort to “hitting us over the head with a cosmic two-by-four” to wake us up. The concept implies that there is something or someone outside of us that employs whatever means is needed to get our attention, even if it necessitates our pain and suffering.

I do not subscribe to that notion. It speaks of an external power of reward and punishment. It also invites us to abdicate personal responsibility. There is nothing or no one “out there” exacting pain upon us so that we can learn a lesson. We co-create our experiences, and every experience is an opportunity for us to awaken.

We can seek and find the gift or gifts in every situation, and choose to learn and grow from them. Granted, we may not be able or willing to see the gift while in the midst of a challenging life circumstance, but in time, if we are open, the gifts will be revealed. I am currently having such an experience.

My body is currently demonstrating what my doctor believes to be a torn meniscus in my left knee joint. I have been dealing with discomfort and various degrees of pain for two weeks. If I believed in “cosmic two-by-fours,” this would be one. Since I don’t, I am instead, choosing to allow the gifts of this physical manifestation to be revealed.

This experience is proving to be rich with opportunities for learning and growth. Being forced to stop, rest, and not engage in my normal activities has given me an opportunity to observe how I measure my worth. Additionally, it has invited me into more conscious compassion and empathy for those who live with pain and for those who are experiencing the demonstrations of physical disease or other imbalances in the physical body. It has also reminded me of the importance of paying attention to my physical body.

Photo by CoaGoa - www.CoaGoaDeviantArt.com

Last week, after the initial injury, adhering to my doctor’s recommendation, I chose to stay home, rather than attend the Youth of Unity rally in Oklahoma as I had planned. I agreed with her that traveling on an airplane, navigating an airport, driving a car for several hours and engaging in the activities at rally might not serve my well-being. Instead, I spent a great deal of time sitting on the sofa with my ice-pack-covered knee elevated. I had a great deal of time to be with myself and my discomfort, emotional and mental as well as physical.

I felt restless while sitting there doing “nothing.” I thought of all the things I “should” or could be doing. Even though I had already planned to be away for the week, I felt guilty. After some time in contemplation, I realized that much of my mental and emotional discomfort stemmed from an underlying belief that my value lies in what I do, rather than who I am. While this was not a starkly surprising revelation, the awareness has been enlightening.

I would love to tell you that following this realization I was immediately able to affirm my value and my innate worth and feel better. I would love to tell you that, but that is not exactly what happened. I am pleased to tell you that I was able to mourn my predilection to base my self-worth on my accomplishment. I was also willing to celebrate my awareness and honor that I have the power to make other choices.

This is yet another opportunity for me to live the truth I know. I can choose to be aware of my thoughts and beliefs and, to the best of my ability in each moment, release those that are limiting and affirm my truth: I am worthy and valuable just because I am.

I encourage each of us to know that truth. I encourage us to stop frequently during the day and affirm that truth for ourselves, not because the body demands it, but because it is in our own self-interest. When we know that we are worthy just because we are, we are empowered to do what is ours to do, and no more, not because it defines us or establishes our worthiness, but because we can move forward with great love, enthusiasm and intention to do all that is to be done by us.

After a few days of rest and recuperation, I chose to make the planned trip to my family reunion in Georgia and my prayer partner’s ordination in Texas. I made the first leg of the trip with little or no issues. However, I could barely walk the following morning. I hobbled around the reunion on Saturday. When we got to the airport on Sunday to travel from Atlanta to Dallas, I made it to the check-in counter with J’s help and the aid of a cane, but requested a wheelchair to take me to the gate. I knew I could make it on foot, but also knew that I would regret it if I did.

It was, indeed, a humbling experience. Moving through the airport in a wheelchair and walking with a cane, opened my eyes, mind and heart to others who I observed in similar situations. I was able to see them and hold them in my heart with a greater sense of care and compassion. The experience also opened me to greater compassion for myself and has allowed me to be more open and receptive to help from others who want to support me.

Again, I do not believe in the concept of a “cosmic two-by-four,” but I do believe that if we discount the subtle messages our bodies give us that those message will eventually be delivered in ways that are hard to ignore.

Prior to this recent episode, I had been experiencing some discomfort and irritation in my knee. I didn’t completely ignore it, but I didn’t take decisive action to treat it. I received inner guidance about strengthening the muscles in my legs and around the knee, but delayed doing anything about it. I kept telling myself that I would get to it when I had the time and could focus on it. After all, I had a great deal to do, and if I didn’t do it, I wouldn’t be valued! HA!

I hesitate to admit it, but I took no definitive action to change my consciousness about the knee. I did not do any focused prayer treatment for my knee, nor did I request any from others. I did not begin physical exercise that might have helped to prevent further injury. In short, I did not practice the principles of three-fold healing and wholeness that Unity cofounder, Myrtle Fillmore, so eloquently wrote about.¹

Unfortunately, it took experiencing the pain and debilitating effects of the injury to get my complete attention. I am pleased to report that I am now taking definitive action. Daily, I meditate on the life energy restoring my knee. I speak prayer treatments for the health of my knee. I receive prayer treatment from others. I have contacted a friend who is a personal trainer to assist me with exercises to strengthen my legs muscles. I rest and elevate my leg, even if it means I don’t DO other things. And, I do my best not to feel guilty about it.

I have been powerfully reminded how essential it is not to wait until we experience an unwanted manifestation in our life before we take action. Preventative action is potentially more potent that corrective action.

I encourage us all to take time daily to engage in spiritual, mental and physical practice:

Mentally scan the body for any signs of irritation or imbalance. If there are none, Great! If there are, focus awareness in that area, and ask the body to reveal what it needs. The body holds a great deal of wisdom that is accessible to us if we will only listen. Listen to its guidance. Most importantly, follow the guidance you receive.

Consciously connect with the Life Energy living as the body. Feel it following through every system of the body - circulatory, digestive, skeletal, muscular, excretive, nervous and respiratory. Use your power of imagination to see it flowing freely without restriction or resistance, connection all of the body systems in perfect harmony and order.

Honor and appreciate every aspect of the body. Speak words of praise and thanksgiving for all the ways the body expresses and allows you to experience this wonderful earthly dimension.

Move the body as much and as often as you can during the day. Take a walk. Go dancing. Practice Tai’ Chi Gung, Yoga, or other physically and spiritually connected movement.

As you say your daily prayers for others, be sure to include yourself.

We need not create our own “two-by-four” experience, but if we find ourselves having one, we can use it to go deeper into our spiritual truth and learn and grow through it.

Please join us on Sunday for our service at 10:00. I will have the privilege of bringing the message in both word and song.


¹ Myrtle Fillmore’s Healing Letters

8 comments :

  1. I am holding sacred space to support you in revealing and advancing the highest good for all, in all, through all. Without bogging you down with details of my health "opportunities" this year, I received variations on the same lessons. After many months of eating cleaner than ever, working out with a trainer and managing my stress responses through meditation, tapping and Reiki, 30 lbs into the eventual 50 lb release of excess physical weight, I developed what became physically painful and debilitating health conditions. While I was less than thrilled (GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT), the journey deepened my compassion for others AND MYSELF suffering chronic pain and for understanding that just because REST is a four-letter word, doesn't mean it should be avoided at all costs. My physical therapist advises me repeatedly "Don't be such a Wells" the birth tribe from which I learned to push through any pain and exhaustion, tuck in that hernia and go to work! I thought I'd gotten this lesson fully a few years ago (didn't I host a talk radio show and write a book on the subject of loving yourself unconditionally?). It would appear there's even more I can learn about a healthier, happier, more humane option. Note to self: when in doubt, stop, sit down, rest and tap into your deepest wisdom. Often I am most adept at accessing the better way when I consider what I'd suggest a loved one do in a similar situation. If I wouldn't advise you to ignore your pain and just keep going, why would I advise (even REQUIRE) myself to do so? That consideration usually gets my attention which is the first step to wisdom. Paying attention and being insatiably, non-judgmentally CURIOUS. I hold you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah, for honest and vulnerable sharing. I appreciate you.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant insights . . . thanks for the guidance for our personal inquiries. Stop, not pause, for the body is our Temple to produce the Divine universally. Simply follow the path as you describe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the body is the temple, and our vehicle to demonstrate the Kingdom of Heaven right here and now.

      Delete
  3. It is so rare and wonderful to have a spiritual leader with the honesty and humility to share life's struggles as he is in the midst of them, rather than after the lessons are learned and equilibrium has been restored. We have such high expectations for ourselves, and probably even more for our leaders. This blog is a good reminder to me of my need to look inward and ask myself if I am carrying my share of the responsibility and care for USCD, so David and Trish won't feel obligated to do more than is reasonable or healthy for them to do on my and everyone else's behalf. Thank you David (and Trish) for your selfless service, that I am sure none of us will ever fully comprehend. As you strive for the same balance in your lives that you are teaching us to seek, please don't hesitate to call upon us, your friends and fellow Unity members for support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina. I appreciate all you do and who you are.

      Delete
  4. Hi David. I am so sorry to hear about your knee pain. Just want to share “Treat Your Own Knee” by MacKenzie. I also have knee pain and have found this book’s exercises to be incredibly helpful. It was recommended by my orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist. I also understand how disorienting it is when we suddenly have physical pain - I fell and hit my head and broke a rib. Thankfully all is healed; but during my 6 weeks of healing and being forced to slow down; I experienced a soulful reflective moment. Sometimes we need to pause and be. As the amazing spiritual leader that you are; I hope you consciously make enough time to pause, reflect, and be. You are very important to many of us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. So sorry to hear about your physical challenges. We are in these bodies and we need to care for them, but they do not define us. Thank you, God!

      Delete