Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2018

In The Wilderness


Over the past two weeks, in my Sunday lessons at Unity Spiritual Center Denver (listen here) and my post from May 10, I have shared some of my thoughts about a quote from Unity cofounder Charles Fillmore. He said, in effect, that we must realize that we are Jesus of the Christian Scriptures and until we do, we will continue to experience the effects of our limited understanding and acceptance of who we truly are. What a powerful statement of Truth!

As I have contemplated that Truth over the past two weeks, I have become more conscious of the ways I have limited myself and my experience by believing that I am something other than and less than the full potential and possibility of all that the master Jesus embodied. I am working on it, however.

In preparation for writing this post, I was looking back through some of my previous posts and rediscovered one from March 2015 which explores this idea from a little different perspective, yet still in alignment with the same Truth. I decided to update that entry and repost it today. I hope it will inspire you to an even greater realization of the Truth of who you are.

Charles Fillmore, Unity cofounder wrote,

“We cannot separate Jesus Christ from God or tell where man leaves off and God begins in Him. To say that we are men as Jesus Christ was a man is not exactly true, because He had dropped that personal consciousness by which we separate ourselves from our true God self. He became consciously one with the absolute principle of Being. He proved in His resurrection and ascension that He had no consciousness separate from that of Being, therefore He really was this Being to all intents and purposes.

Yet He attained no more than what is expected of every one of us. ’That they may be one, even as we are’ was His prayer.”

While at the core of my being it felt true, when I began to read and comprehend what Mr. Fillmore was saying, that each of us not only can, but is expected to achieve the level of Oneness consciousness that Jesus did, I was a bit mystified. My thinking went something like, “How can I achieve Jesus’ level of consciousness? There is only one Christ, one son of God, and Jesus is it.” It was actually not until much later in my own journey that I was able to assimilate that Jesus and ‘Christ’ are not synonymous. Even though in some traditions the terms are used interchangeably, in Unity they are distinct.

The traditional Christian assertion is that Jesus was the one and only son of God, born knowing his divinity and living in concert with it from the moment of his birth. In other words, he was born fully awakened in Christ consciousness and he never diverged from it. In Unity we teach that Jesus was a human born into time and space just as each of us is and that his life was a journey of awakening and self-mastery as is ours.

We believe, as Unity minister, author and teacher Eric Butterworth stated, that Jesus was the great example, not the great exception. Like each of us, his personal consciousness was conditioned by his family, the oppressive society in which he lived and the religion of his birth. He, too, had to release himself from the bonds of the personal consciousness, often referred to as ‘ego,’ in order to awaken to his divine nature.

Through a series of events, Jesus awakened to the fullness of the Christ, which as Charles Fillmore said is, “the higher self…the spiritual man…the one complete idea of perfect man in Divine Mind.¹” As in the quote above, Mr. Fillmore reminds us that we are expected to do the same.

When we explore Jesus’ journey as a metaphor for our own process of awakening from an ego-dominated consciousness to Christ consciousness, we can see that although his experiences were dramatic, they can represent the phases we may go through on our path to awakening.

Immediately following his baptism “the Spirit drove him into the wilderness” (Mark 1:12 NRSV) where he spent forty days and forty nights with the “wild beast” and “Satan.” This is an essential aspect in the journey of awakening.

Like Jesus, when we have an awakening such as the one he experienced, we are often drawn into the wilderness of our own minds. Charles Fillmore said, 
In individual consciousness the wilderness is symbolical of the multitude of undisciplined and uncultivated thoughts.²” We are brought face-to-face with all the thoughts that would deny our newly revealed nature. All the things we have been taught to believe about ourselves and the world arise in order to challenge us. We are given the opportunity to release them and let them go.

And, if that weren’t enough, Satan who represents the “great universal negative²” shows up with all the powerful beliefs of collective consciousness to tempt us from our initiatory awakening with promises of pleasure, power and riches, things that the ego-dominated mind often craves.

The story tells us little of what Jesus endured during his forty days and nights in the desert. We can only surmise. However, when we are willing to look at how the “personal consciousness by which we separate ourselves from our true God consciousness” shows up as the limiting thoughts and beliefs in our own minds, we have a pretty good idea of what he was dealing with. We do know that he persevered. He walked out of the wilderness a changed man ready to continue his journey.

I hope you will join us Sunday as we continue to explore the Truth of Mr. Fillmore’s assertion that “You are Jesus” and how that relates to our willingness to enter the wilderness of our own minds and reclaim the awareness and embodiment of our Unity in the Divine and with all creation.


4 comments :

  1. Unity teaches that we can create what we want by controlling our thoughts, right? In a recent Sunday message, you pointed out that the ego mind can seize on that idea, and get carried away with thinking, "I can create whatever I want! I can create parking spaces..." I see the same pitfall in this idea of becoming like Jesus; Thinking that "I' can do it. Speaking for myself, I'm capable of putting great effort into reaching my goals, but I have also discovered that my personal power is limited. So what is really needed is for "me" to step aside and let Spirit lead the way. A little willingness on my part is all that is necessary. That sometimes looks like faith, sometimes like baby steps towards a goal, sometimes just openness to a new perspective. And patience, lots of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 61 years in this life have taught me unequivocally I am very different in many ways and very much the same in many other ways as my fellow beings. No doubt I share some things in common with Jesus, and equally without doubt I will never share other things with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being relatively new to Unity I have struggled with this concept that "I am Jesus." But your message today has led me to a new understanding. I often questioned the difference between "Jesus" and "Christ." Today I understand that Jesus was the (hu)man, while "Christ" is the ideal consciousness. Therefore, Jesus took on the Christ consciousness to become "the perfect (hu)man in Divine Mind." I know in Unity that there is the concept of the "repeatable Christ" which I also now understand is the ultimate fulfillment of our own individual potential. For example, I'm never going to be a 5'4" blue-eyed blonde weighing 120 pounds but I can be the healthiest, most beautiful woman I can be. All things are possible within that which is God expressing as me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you David. You just reinforced everything I thought I believed in. Namaste!

    ReplyDelete