Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Did God Create Fear?

In my lesson this past Sunday I talked about fear and how fear restricts our awareness of and allowing of the abundant flow of universal energy into and through our lives. As I left the sanctuary a congregant asked, “Didn’t God create fear and isn’t it sometimes a good thing?” I am sure I am paraphrasing, but that is what stuck with me.

I have shared many times that I enjoy living in the question, seeking a deeper understanding of life and truth. I often find that living in the question stimulates more question than answers. But, since I enjoy living in the question that is what I have done the past few days.

I am excited to share some of my revelations with you. Please know that I fully realize that this is a complex question and that what follows may seem to be an oversimplification. I offer it as a starting point for dialog, not as a definitive answer.

What is ‘God’?

First, it is essential to know what we believe about God. As I stated in my lesson, no concept that our subjective minds can conceive of can capture the essence of that which is infinite. Our finite minds cannot grasp infinity. Although we do our best to express our experience of God, all attempts are nothing more than “vain imaginations.” ¹ As it says in the first chapter of the Tao Te Ching, the wisdom teaching of Chinese master Lao Tzu, states “the name that can be named is not the enduring and unchanging name.” ² All words are merely symbols that we use to convey concepts. They are limiting and potentially restrict our experience of that which we are attempting to describe.

‘God,’  as I use the word, is a symbol for Life Energy, the Spirit and Substance which is no thing, yet is All; is formless, yet is the foundation for all form; is infinite yet can be experienced by the finite in our individuated conscious awareness.



Does God create?

Charles Fillmore, the cofounder of Unity, when talking about creation made the following statements, (Note: I have capitalized ‘Ideas’ when the term refers to Ideas of God Mind.)

“Created” means “ideated”…God does not create the visible universe directly, as a person makes a concrete pavement, but God creates the Ideas [emphasis mine] that are used by God’s intelligent “image and likeness” to make the universe. Thus, God’s creations are always spiritual.” ³

“God is a great mind reservoir that has to be tapped by the human mind [“God’s intelligent image and likeness”] and poured into invisibility through human thought or word.” ⁴

“Divine Ideas are man's inheritance; they are pregnant with all possibility, because Ideas are the foundation and cause of all that man desires.” ⁵

“Man's inheritance from God is Divine Ideas. These Ideas find expression, and the expression forms what man calls his good. Back of the expression is the Idea.” ³

I understand Mr. Fillmore to say that God, as we understand God, “created” a spiritual universe consisting solely of Divine Ideas. He uses the word “ideated” to make the distinction between what we think of as manifest creation, matter and the material world, and the realm of Spirit and Substance, which is formless. He also says that these Divine Ideas are the “foundation and cause for all that man desires.”  Further, that these Ideas find expression in what we call our good.

In summary, God is the Source of Divine Ideas that exemplify the possibility for all that we desire to experience. When we allow Divine Ideas to fill our minds, focus our awareness on them, and take action inspired by them, we bring into manifestation that which embodies the potential of those Ideas.

What is fear?

Psychology would tell us that fear is an emotional response stimulated by an actual or perceived threat to something we value. From a spiritual perspective, fear is an emotional response stimulated by thoughts and beliefs that are not in alignment with Divine Ideas.

Did God create fear?

Given the forgoing, I would have to say, ‘No, God did not create fear.’ God ideated a spiritual universe of Divine Ideas. I cannot conceive of ‘fear’ as a Divine Idea. Using Mr. Fillmore’s criteria, it neither forms the foundation for what we desire nor is it an expression of what I call my good. This is stated beautifully in 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and of a sound mind.”


Is fear sometimes beneficial?

Fear is beneficial when we allow it to inform us of when we are out of alignment with Divine Ideas. As human beings, we are endowed with what Abraham-Hicks calls an Emotional Guidance System. Stated in my words, our emotions inform us whether or not our thoughts are in alignment with Divine Ideas. When we feel fear, which may be experienced as anxiety, dread, worry, and the like, we are entertaining thoughts, or ideas, that are not Divine Ideas. Conversely, when we are feeling love, which may be experienced as warmth, compassion, openness, and the like, our thinking is in harmony with Divine Ideas. Fear is helpful when we allow it to let us know when our thinking is in need of adjustment.

Also, fear, as an emotional response to an actual threat can be helpful. It can motivate us to take action to protect ourselves or another from harm.

How do we return from fear to love?

In the frequency of perfect Love which is a Divine Idea, there is no fear.⁶ Mr. Fillmore offers the following suggestion for moving from fear to love.

“If you are given to worry and anxiety, think about the fearless confidence and trust of the Spirit. This will at once relieve your mind of the thoughts that have stirred you, and the power of the Spirit will begin its work of straightening out your affairs. If you are overwhelmed with material work and the call of the outer world, stop and concentrate in the I AM and say: "I am Spirit. I do not believe in matter or material conditions. I have power, because I know that all power is in Divine Mind. Divine Mind now sets my thoughts and all my affairs in divine order, and I rest in the confidence and peace of the kingdom within." 7

An Invitation

I would love to know your thoughts about the ideas presented here. What is your experience of fear? What helps you to return to love from fear?

Please join for our 10:00 service on Sunday as we explore further how we can “Return to Love.”

¹ Romans 1:21
² Translation by Stephen Mitchell
³ Mysteries of Genesis
⁴ Jesus Christ Heals
⁵ Christian Healing
⁶ 1 John 4:18

7 Atom Smashing Power of Mind

12 comments :

  1. Wonderful. I will save this one on my computer so I can refer to and read it often. Blessings to you today and every day, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you. You are in my heart and prayers.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful way to describe fear David. There really are only two things that are for sure. Fear and Love and Love is where I want to be especially when I forget Love and start to Fear. Ter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Love or Fear and A Course in Miracles says. We get to choose...and choose again.

      Delete
  3. I believe we experience fear when we "Forget Essential Absolute Reality"; There is one presence and one power in the Universe and in my Life, God, the Good, Omnipotent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. I love Forget Essential Absolute Reality. I hadn't heard that one.

      Delete
  4. Excellent blog David. I now again have more questions than answers which is what we expected. I will ponder your points concerning fear. Right now, well, simply entertaining the myriad of thoughts I have about fear, is giving me a headache. I'm going to relax and turn my attention to the Rockies Opening Day ballgame!

    Since the ballgame is now the white noise of my life, I have another question about this blog. Am I misunderstanding the assertion that the spirit (Spirit?) world is formless? What was meant when you wrote "...the realm of Spirit and Substance, which is formless."?

    I have read many accounts of NDEs and OBEs. Some of these folks have written about buildings and schools, parks and homes they have visited in the realm. Is the Unity concept of the afterlife entirely about thought, hence formless? Can substance exist without form?

    I understand that something can be far too ethereal for conceptualization. Maybe that is the thought about formless. However, when we limit God by saying there is something in the universe that God did not create, it seems we are not understanding God. If I believe God is all - everything we see, touch, feel, think and more - then can I exclude anything? Fear is a part of everything. Is Unity saying there are things in the universe that were not created by God?

    I have a difficult time accepting that Fear is separate from God. It begs the question: are there other things I do not know about that God did not create? The thought that there are things that are not created by God, and so are not a part of God, brings the most fear into me life. I won't believe this, even if it is true. I can't.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many questions! We could go down a long and winding rabbit hole with this one. I think my concept of God allows all things and nothing is excluded within the realm of that Allness that is God. 'Fear' as I understand it is really a concept formed in a mind of dualism.

      I liken it to darkness. There is no source of darkness in the universe. It is the relative absence of light. There is no source of fear. It is the relative absence of love. Love is a creation of God. Fear and its gradations are our experience when we are not consciously aware that we are love and that love is the the only reality.

      How many questions does that stimulate?

      Delete
    2. Thank you David! I love the way you make me think. Some day, some time, we're going to have to sit down and have one big long discussion about these things. Maybe then we can see the tip of the iceberg.

      Delete
  5. I am just catching up on this one and love your message David and all of these thoughtful comments! Fear seems to be the great learning lesson for us as spirits in human form - there are so many ways that we and our loved ones are vulnerable to illness, death, loss, and violence. Love is the answer and that takes great faith. I am so grateful for each and every person on this earth who lives in love and not fear. For me it takes an act of faith to live in love and each time I choose love; life opens up and peace arrives. Thank you David!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why did it take me forever to get to this blog? Well I am finally here and I am so loving it.

    Thanks David. I love your analysis of the concept of fear. I have always believed that fear is a caution for recklessness not a trigger for depression. Now your narrative just gave me a deeper insight.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. the question of fear and the opening to love raises in me the question of "is the universe safe'? Is the divine safe? if this world is God's creation - the result of the divine idea - then does the divine idea include rape, war and starvation for vast swaths of God's children? How can we tell a 5 year old girl in Darfur, facing starvation and brutality, to "trust in God and believ e in love?" these have not been part of her option or her reality from the moment of birth. Does the Divine idea include a brutal lottery system where some are born untouchable and some born in a safe home with fresh air, water and food? As a parent - a simple human parent - I would never have such an idea for my own children. I love them too much. Can we tell the child in Darfur that the dictator starving her is an expression of the divine? that she is safe if she just embodies the love of the divine? Maybe fear stems from our fear that the Divine 'pattern' has cruelty imbeded in it and does not actually care about our well-being? or, as 'old hippy' commented are we to believe the warlord and emporers of fear and torture are not expressions of God? What then is the master of this universe? Are we outside of Divine order and protection?

    ReplyDelete