Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Ask-Seek-Knock

Our theme for the Advent season this year at Unity Spiritual Center Denver is “A Season of Wonder.” In keeping with the theme, I sat last night wondering, “What in the world am I going to write about this week?” And, “What on earth am I going to talk about this Sunday?” Even though the title of my lesson for Sunday is “Embrace the Mystery,” I am usually quite uncomfortable sitting with and embracing those two mysteries.

As I was able to quiet my mind a bit and relax into meditation last night, I was comforted by the gentle reminder that I do not have to figure it out. All the worry and struggle over trying to think of something to write about and speak on is the ego’s way of keeping me caught up in the idea of an “I” that is separate. And, that always stimulates fear. When we are in fear, there is no clarity because there is no conscious connection with Spirit. 

Once I was able to get past my initial angst and relax into a quite space of meditation and contemplation the following Scripture came to me –
“Ask, and you shall receive. Seek, and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened unto you. For everyone who ask receives, everyone who seeks finds, and for everyone who knocks the door is opened.” – Matthew 7: 7-8
My wondering then became, “I wonder what in the world that has to do with Advent and Christmas? Maybe I tuned into the wrong channel.”

However, as I sat with it longer, I was reminded of my post from last week. In Unity we honor Jesus as a teacher, an elder brother and our way-shower. We celebrate the birth of this enlightened master at Christmas. In this passage from the Sermon on the Mount which many, including famed author and teacher Emmet Fox, believe to be the codification of Jesus’ teaching, he shared a deep and profound truth as he spoke from the Christ consciousness. Those reminders helped me to feel more at ease with using it as a source Scripture for Advent.

This passage can be, and often is, confusing if not confounding when we read it and attempt to understand it from our human perspective. Just imagine, if you will, the people who were sitting on a hillside listening to Jesus that day. They were primarily poor Jews who had been and continued to be under the rule of a foreign power, Rome, and who were often subjected to harsh treatment and abject living conditions. I wonder what they were thinking. I’m sure they had been asking God to deliver them from their oppression, to provide for them and to return them to freedom. Can you imagine how incredulous they must have been upon hearing this man say that it is given to everyone who asks, that those who seek find, and to those who knock the door is opened? Now image those today who are living in poverty, homeless, hungry and oppressed reading or hearing this Scripture. I wonder if they, too, are dubious, wondering how this could possibly be true.

It is often challenging, if not impossible, to understand Jesus’ teachings from our human perspective. We most often want to apply his teaching to the manifest realm. We tend to interpret his teaching in application to our human needs and desires. While Jesus understood and appreciated the importance of our basic human needs, they were not typically his primary focus.

To Jesus, the most important desire was the longing to know Oneness, to attain God consciousness, and to embody the Christ - the potential perfection for mankind. 

When Jesus said, “Ask and you shall receive” he was not talking about worldly goods. He was referring to a sincere asking to know God. When one asks with a pure heart and intention, he receives. The asking and receiving are one.

When he said, “Seek and you shall find” he was talking about seeking the Christ within, not the outer searching that we often engage in. When one truly seeks to know himself as the Christ and that is the sole intention of seeking, he finds.

When he said, “Knock and the door will be opened unto you” Jesus was using the metaphor of the “door” to represent anything that we allow to separate us from the conscious awareness of ourselves as the Christ made manifest. When we earnestly “knock” with thoughts and intentions on any “door” that appears to separate us, it is opened. The opening occurs in our own consciousness. When it is opened the one who knocks is greeted by the image of Christ as himself. 

Allowing the Christ to be revealed as the self is the real message of Christmas. Advent is a time of reflection, possibly upon the things we allow to be in the way – the “doors” that separate us from that knowing.

My prayer is that during this season we will allow ourselves to reconnect with our deepest desire, our soul and sole desire – to know ourselves as the Christ revealed. When that is our intention and we ask in our hearts, seek within ourselves, and knock at the door of our perceived limitations, we shall receive. We find and open to the Christ within.


Join us during “A Season of Wonder” as we open to the conscious awareness of the indwelling Christ. Let us come together to prepare our hearts and minds to celebrate Christmas. 


8 comments :

  1. Very powerful and helpful David. Thank you. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if the message of Jesus' words and actions are the message of Christmas. Maybe the message of Jesus' words and actions, the message of his life, is the message of Easter. The Christmas message could be the message of his birth.

    Our birth, along with JC’s, is the beginning of our separateness. We are celebrating the birth of Jesus, the time when Jesus first separated from the spirit world and became the flesh guided by the spirit. Maybe we should be celebrating our separateness. I understand the message of oneness, the idea that we are all in this together, the thought of the web of life, of what we do and what we think affects the entirety of existence. Maybe that is the message of Easter, when JC went back to the spirit world.

    Perhaps the Christmas message is that of the birth of a child, the birth of life on earth, the birth of physical existence which is the beginning of separateness. Maybe when God chose to create physical life, He saw some benefit to our separateness. Then maybe the birth of a child that we recognize has Christ consciousness, is, in some small part, the celebration of our separateness.

    Maybe; but maybe not! What I do know is that the eggnog is looking better and better now that I have overtaxed my brain in thought. Thanks Rev for a great start to my day!

    I am looking forward to a great message from our beloved Reverend this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea. I was thinking that Christmas should be a celebration of our life. Our life here in this experience. I often struggle with what I perceive to be the New Thought tendency to always wanting to be somewhere other than here. Somewhere more 'spiritual'. But what is more spiritual than the lessons we learn here and the amazing gifts we have been given to share here, right now. I want to experience this life to it's fullest. We are created for a reason and I believe at least one reasons is to learn how to be fully engaged in experiencing our oneness with other's here on earth. This is just a random thought for this morning, not well expressed but genuine. Love and Blessings.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you that we are here in this life experience to live it fully. I believe that we are here to remember how to live life in the greatest degree of LOVE for ourselves, for each other and for all creation. I believe that we can do that most effectively from the conscious awareness that who we are extends beyond this physical experience. I don't see that realizing our Christ nature precludes us from fully living this life experience. On the contrary, I believe it can only serve to enhance it and inspire us to live it more completely in service to LOVE. In fact Jesus said, "I came that you might have life and have it more abundantly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read your notes for the upcoming service, I am thankful to you for sharing your knowledge, insights and even your acknowledgement of a certain amount of confusion from time to time. None of us is “up” or “certain” all of the time and when we question ourselves, it is helpful to see you walking beside us on your own journey.

    Thank you for letting us hear about your journey during the week and then showing us how it sometimes shifts by Sunday. By being transparent and courageous in your discussions with us, we learn to do the same with ourselves, which then allows us to show more courage toward others.

    Thank you for caring about each of us. It reminds us to not only care more for others but to do the same for ourselves, which for some of us is the place where we experience our greatest roadblocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Verily, I say unto thee, "keep an eye on both sides of thy nose."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful message to ponder as I prepare for this holiday season of spending time with loved ones, remembering past moments with those who have departed, and expressing my soul's yearning to live life with love and good will to all people. I am so thankful for your example and teachings, David, of how to be fully human and live life in service to LOVE.

    ReplyDelete