Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Thought Addiction

There are times in our lives, when we to say to ourselves, to another, or to the Universe, “Enough is enough!”  We want something different.  What we are experiencing is too painful, too much, not in our best interest, or not what our Spirit is calling us to do or be.  Getting to a point of saying “enough is enough” and being ready to experience something different is the first step toward affecting a meaningful change in our lives.  However, change does not happen simply by wanting it to happen.  It requires us do something different. We often attempt to change the condition by maneuvering the external:  we change jobs, relationships, or locations.  These may affect temporary change, but in order to affect lasting change we must change our beliefs, and our beliefs are simply thoughts that we continue to think and give energy to.

It is a simple truth, and it is not always an easy thing to do.  In many ways changing our habitual thinking is like recovering from an addiction.  Just as we can become addicted to a substance, we can become addicted to ways we think about ourselves, others, and the Universe.

I admit it: I am addicted to caffeine.  By drinking coffee every morning for years, I have conditioned my body and emotions to the effects of caffeine.  In simple terms, caffeine causes increased neuronal firing in the brain that sends signals to the body to which the body reacts by increasing the heart rate, increasing blood flow to muscles, and accelerating many bodily functions.  It is a stimulant.  I feel good when I have my caffeine in the morning.  If I do not have caffeine every morning, my body reacts. It reacts with a headache and sluggishness.  I feel irritable as well. The body and the emotions get accustomed to feeling the sensations of the neurotransmitters (brain chemicals) stimulated by caffeine and it rebels when those chemicals are removed.  A similar process happens in the brain as a result of our thinking. The brain is constantly firing neurons and releasing neurotransmitters in response to our thoughts.  And, our emotions and body respond. 

As we begin to understand how the brain functions, scientists are learning that by changing our thinking, we not only change neurotransmitters, we can change neural network pathways, thereby changing our physical and emotional responses.  Each of us has habitual ways of thinking about ourselves, others, the Universe and ways in which they are all related.  Fearful thoughts, which include worry, judgment, blame, criticism and the like, produce chemicals that cause us to feel anxious, agitated, or depressed; while thoughts of love, which include acceptance, appreciation, and gratitude, release chemicals to which the body and emotions respond with peace, affection, and compassion.   Just as the emotions and the body become accustomed to the effects of caffeine or other substances, so do they become accustomed and adjusted to the effects of our thoughts.

If the chemicals change or are absent, the body and emotions react.  The body and emotions do not know what to do with this new information.  H. Emilie Cady in Lessons in Truth refers to this process as “chemicalization.”  If one is accustomed to feeling depressed, angry or sad, due to a habitual way of thinking and being in the world, it is going to feel strange to be peaceful, joyful and free.  Even though it might seem that experiencing these new feelings would be a relief, it often stimulates discomfort and a temptation to revert to the known way in order to recreate the familiar. 

Understanding the reason it is sometimes difficult to affect lasting changes in our lives may help us to have compassion for ourselves when it seems that change is not happening as quickly or as easily as we would like.  Knowing that it is part of the process, may also help us move through the discomfort. Lasting changes in our lives result from a change in consciousness, and a change in consciousness requires a renewing – a different way of thinking.  Are you ready to make that change?

Join us on Sunday for our 10:00 service. I will begin a series of lesson entitled "Get Over Yourself."

2 comments :

  1. Dear David, I love this "series of lesson" format that you are doing! It helps me try out the spiritual principle you are teaching in many different ways until it becomes a practice. I also really appreciate this blog as it allows me to follow your teachings even when I have to miss a Sunday lesson. I am looking forward to learning more about "Get Over Yourself"!! All The Best

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the goal is to not feel depressed, criticized or sad, or, to be able to handle those feelings in a positive, constructive way? I tend to believe that emotions causing chemical reactions in my grey matter as opposed to drugs (caffeine, aspirin, marijuana, etc) causing chemical reactions, are different. My consciousness (spirit, soul, being, whatever you call you) caused the emotions but caffeine, aspirin, marijuana, etc. caused the other chemical reaction. They are different.

    I don't know that i can explain what that difference is, but I believe a difference exists between emotions causing chemical reactions or chemicals causing chemical reactions. I also believe one of my main goals is to deal with negative emotions in a positive manner. In my life I want to feel sadness, depression, negative emotions because it is when I feel these emotions, I am able to understand why I want to get back to happy and joyous. Sunshine is nice, and maybe the way to experience life most of the time; but not all the time. I don't want to be happy or the sun to shine all the time. It would be a boring existence I suspect.

    ReplyDelete