Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Remember the Sabbath

Recently, I was speaking with a dear friend. She and I have worked together more than once, continue to collaborate on projects, and share personal details about our lives, so she knows me pretty well. During our conversation, seemingly out of the blue, she asked me why I don’t often take vacations. She commented that many ministers and spiritual leaders that she knows take time off to rest and renew themselves, and she was concerned for me since I don’t. I was surprised by the question and didn’t immediately have a rational answer. I don’t recall what I said, but upon reflection I am sure I was defending and justifying. After our call, I contemplated the question, and realized that taking infrequent vacations is only one manifestation of my lack of honoring the need for rest and renewal. And, my guess is that I am not alone.

We all need rest. Our need for rest is as important as our need for sleep. It is an aspect of the natural rhythm of life. While extended time off from our daily activities is often enriching and necessary, we also need to create the space for rest amidst the busyness of our lives on a routine basis.

The conversation reminded me of one of my favorite books, Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our Busy Lives, by Wayne Muller. I have highlighted passages on nearly every page in my printed copy. I also have the electronic and audible version of the book. I refer to it when I become aware of the need to be reminded to stop and reconnect; apparently, not frequently enough. Reverend Muller reminds us that “Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy” is the only commandment that begins with the word ‘remember,’ denoting that it is something we all know, but have forgotten. In the hurry of our active lives, we forget.

‘24/7’ seems to have become a modern-day mantra in our culture. We have access to just about everything we desire 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have access to information on the internet anytime day or night. Some of us can work around-the-clock from our home offices if we choose. We can bank, shop or be entertained whenever the urge strikes. We can do most of it without ever leaving the comfort of our own homes. Some wear ‘24/7’ as if it were a badge of honor – “I’m working 24/7 to get this project finished or to drive this deal home”. “I’m BUSY” is now a common response to the question, “how are you?”  Have we accepted constant activity as a part of our value system? In our efforts to accomplish, achieve and accumulate, have we lost the value for rest, renewal, and remembrance? Have we completely abandoned the value of observing the Sabbath?

Throughout time, there have been social taboos, and even laws to restrict activity on the Sabbath. While not as prevalent in many states today, legislators in our country still artificially enforce keeping the Sabbath by imposing “blue laws” which make it illegal for businesses to open, or restrict the items sold, on Sundays. It is currently against the law in Colorado to sell a vehicle on Sunday.

We have attempted to make the Sabbath about what not to do, rather than try to understand its true purpose. As Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for humankind, not humankind for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27 NRSV). Regardless of how it has been misunderstood and misused in the past, Sabbath is a sacred concept that, when observed, can serve us well.

Muller says,

“The Sabbath is not a burdensome requirement from some law-giving deity – ‘You ought, you’d better, you must’ – but rather a remembrance of a law that is firmly embedded in the fabric of nature. It is a reminder of how things really are, the rhythmic dance to which we unavoidably belong.”

The observance of Sabbath, in its highest intention, does not limit activities that one may engage in on a specified day, nor does it mandate setting aside an entire day. Sabbath is time we consciously choose to set aside to honor ourselves and our unity in God. According to the creation story in Genesis, God rested on the seventh day. God didn’t get dressed up and go to church, or catch up on what was missed during the six days of creating the world. God rested. The story reminds us that rest is an integral aspect of our spiritual, as well as our human experience.

It seems, in our culture, we may have lost sight of the value of resting in conscious connection in the One. I affirm that it is time for us to return to observing Sabbath. It is time for us to stop the violence of pushing ourselves beyond our limits. It is time for us to begin to care for ourselves. When we begin to take time to care for ourselves we will begin to take a little more time to care for each other and for our world. Perhaps an archaic concept, such as ‘Sabbath,’ can help save us from ourselves. It is certainly a concept that I intend to explore for myself beginning now.

I invite you to join us this Sunday as we explore and experience Sabbath. It will be a time to rest, renew and remember. Our service will include extended periods for quiet contemplation and meditation. Discover how remembering the Sabbath can make a difference in your life.

In observance of Memorial Day, we will also have an opportunity to remember and give thanks not only for the men and women who have served in our armed forces, but also for those individuals whose lives have touched ours.

3 comments :

  1. Amen Rev! We seem to live life in a "Do" mode rather than a "Be" mode. Rest seems contrary to Capitalism. If I am resting, then I'm lazy, not doing enough, not fulfilling my potential, not taking advantage of opportunities, not...not...not. I'm just resting! I have to be DOING something!

    Well, if I am eternal, then I will eventually get everything done if it is important. What's the hurry? Let's all slow down a bit. Who knows; maybe then we will be able to smell more of the flowers. What a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Amen!!! Here is to time to rest, play, dream, connect, and be:)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to learn this lesson the hard way more than once in my 60+ years on the planet, especially during my original 30-year consulting career, at the end of which I retired, utterly burned out, dangerously overweight and clinically depressed. It was an amazing career--an amazing life--the kind others envy. The problem was that 52 years of driving myself with no regard for my health and welfare had finally taken its toll. I woke up one day, 50 pounds heavier in body and soul, no good to myself or anyone else. Having regained my health physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. and finally learned the necessity of self-care (though I appear to still need to dip my toe in the pool or overdoing now and then to be reminded of the dangers), one of my favorite affirmations has become, "I do not rush. I am enough. I renew and empower my body, mind, heart and soul with rest, reflection and play." I found this passage of yours especially meaningful and true, "It is time for us to stop the violence of pushing ourselves beyond our limits. It is time for us to begin to care for ourselves. When we begin to take time to care for ourselves we will begin to take a little more time to care for each other and for our world." Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete