Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2019

Between Us


In my post of August 15, 2018, The Problem with Evil, I shared about my interaction following a recent Sunday service with a young man who had some questions about Unity and our teachings. I said, in that post, that I was looking forward to having a more in-depth conversation with him when and if it happened. Well, that conversation happened this past Friday.

As I said in the previous post, he is Catholic. The conversation started out with both of us sharing a bit about our journeys with religion and spirituality. He then asked me quite a few probing questions about New Thought, our association with Christianity, our connection with “New Age,” and our hosting of mediums, kirtans, and channels. From his perspective, all of these are doorways to “evil.” He even used the words ‘cult’ and ‘occult’ to characterize our beliefs and practices. While it never became overtly contentious, the conversation eventually evolved (or devolved) into what I perceived from him as a critical denouncement of Unity and New Thought.

Further, it was the closest to “witnessing” and an attempt at conversion that I have experienced since leaving the Baptist church. After about an hour and a half, I chose to end our meeting because I was feeling saturated and irritated. While it was an enlightening conversation on many levels, it was not what I had anticipated when scheduling it.

From my perspective, while he used words that seemed to indicate interest in understanding as well as care and concern for me and my eternal soul, it felt neither loving nor connecting. To the contrary, it felt as if I was being interrogated and called to defend myself, my beliefs, and the entire New Thought movement. I believe I did my best to listen respectfully, share openly and respond honestly to his questions. In retrospect, while it became more and more uncomfortable as it continued, and while I walked away somewhat shaken by it, I gained something from the conversation.


I was reminded that one’s total assurance that what he or she believes is the Truth can be both an asset and a detriment. While I don’t agree with much of what he believes, I respect his commitment to it. He has studied the history of Catholicism and has based his beliefs on its teachings. He has dedicated himself to living his life according to the tenets of his religion. I respect and admire that. I think many of us in New Thought could take a lesson from that level of commitment and dedication to living the principles.

However, when one is so convinced that what he or she believes is the absolute Truth, it does not allow for being open to the ideas and beliefs of others. It blocks authentic connection with one who does not adhere to the same beliefs or with one from different cultures and life situations. That level of right and wrong thinking sets up division and does not allow for honest dialog and understanding between people.

This is true whether it concerns religion, politics, social justice, or other issues. When one holds that their view is the only “right” one, it follows that everyone else is “wrong.” Conflicts arise in families, among neighbors, and countries because of this kind of black and white thinking. It has been the cause of many so-called “holy wars” throughout history. It is also the underlying stimulus for many other atrocities inflicted by humans upon other humans. That level of assurance and dogmatic approach to beliefs is based in fear, not love. When one has to be “right,” there is an underlying fear of being mistaken that drives one to behave in ways that are exclusory and can lead to conflict, including war. This is not supposition. It is observation. 

Additionally, the idea that Unity is a “cult” has been around since Unity was founded. Yes, Unity is unorthodox in that we do not subscribe to the Orthodox doctrines of Christianity. Yes, we follow the foundational teaching of one man, Jesus Christ, who taught that the greatest commandment is Love – Love God, Love Neighbor, Love Self. Yes, we are devoted to one idea – the divinity of humankind and our potential to realize and embody that divinity as Jesus did. The foregoing does not constitute Unity as a “cult” any more than traditional Christianity itself.

As for channels and mediums, I know that there are some who profess to bring forth information and guidance from higher dimensions, but who are in actuality charlatans. However, I also know that there are those who connect with knowing beyond the normal. In fact, I would assert that mystical truths in the Bible were received by men who were connected to a field of knowing beyond this third dimensional reality. I cannot believe that God, as wisdom, stopped speaking to and through humankind when the Bible was canonized by a council of men who were at least as interested, if not more so, in power and control than in the spiritual well-being of the people.

God speaks through many who are willing and able to open to and receive divine guidance. I believe that Unity’s founders, Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, were two such people. There were many before them and many who have followed them. We have the God-given power of discernment. Each of us has the ability and the responsibility to develop that power and to judge by righteous judgment the teachings that are and are not in alignment with the Divine. That is not a decision for one man or group of men to make on behalf of all people. That can only be determined through one’s personal connection with the God within.

While kirtans, as such, are not part of the tradition, chanting has long been accepted and encouraged in Christianity. Melodic recitation of words and phrases of spiritual significance has been a spiritual practice of Christians for centuries. Chanting is meant to attune one to the Divine and promote spiritual development. Kirtan, a Sanskrit word, is a group experience of chanting which is intended to assist participants in having an experience of the Divine. In Unity, we believe that there are many paths to God and to an experience of God. Chanting, no matter in what language or style, is just one. We host kirtans because we strive to offer as many paths as possible to a personal experience of God.

I do not expect everyone to understand or accept Unity’s metaphysical approach to the teachings of Jesus Christ, nor to our positive practical approach to living a spiritual life. However, I would greatly appreciate respect for the path I have chosen. I hope that I would never presume to tell another that their beliefs are “wrong” or “evil.” I might share with them what I believe and be open to discussing our differences, but I trust that I could do that from a place of understanding and respect. We may not share the same beliefs about religion, spirituality, politics or social issues, but it is my intention to listen, do my best to understand, and to remember that nothing is either black or white, right or wrong. There is always room in the space between us. Love abides in that space. May we always strive to connect in the space of Love.

In closing, I want to express deep appreciation and gratitude for last Friday’s conversation. Even though it was triggering in some ways for me, it inspired me to think through some of the ideas presented here and helped to solidify my commitment to the Unity teachings of acceptance and inclusion for all. I strive to not only believe in those principles but to practice them. I want to help others do the same.

I invite you to listen to my friend Denise Rosier’s song Between Us as a reminder of our true nature and what lies in the space between us. We are Love. We are One.



4 comments :

  1. My note from the Universe today said.....
    You can only be your best self, Glenn, not someone else's.

    And however to the contrary it may seem, Glenn, therein lies your happiness, being your best self while letting others find theirs.

    My best self,
    The Universe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I have experienced similar conversations, and find them to be disconcerting and at times heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conversations with others who have a totally different paradigm do not go anywhere. They are extremely difficult. Our calling is to embrace the other in love
    .

    ReplyDelete