Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Power of Gratitude


I admit it: I am a sucker for singing competition television shows, such as American Idol and The Voice. I casually followed American Idol this season which concluded on Sunday. I did not watch the broadcast, but I did see who won. Not my choice, by the way. However, I avidly followed The Voice, which concluded its season last night with a two-hour star-studded extravaganza. I’m happy to report that my favorite singer won. In case you are a fan and haven’t yet watched it, I won’t spoil it by revealing who that is. While I appreciate quality singing and vocal performance, this post is not about that.

Instead, it is about one of my “triggers,” and my curiosity about what I noticed last night as I watched as the names of the finalists were announced in the order of their standing from fourth place to the winner.

I have noticed, and it seems to be especially prevalent among country singers, that when they succeed in advancing to the next round of the competition, they will frequently look up or point up as if acknowledging and giving praise to God in heaven. One singer on The Voice this season wore a silver cross pendant prominently displayed each week. Each time he advanced in the competition, he touched the cross as if to give thanks or acknowledge a special blessing he had received from it.



Having been raised in the ideology of traditional Christianity, I can understand why those who place their faith in Jesus, which the cross represents for some, would believe that their faith gives them a special “favored” status ensuring that advanced in the competition while others didn’t. I also understand why one would give praise to God in heaven for what they perceive as “his” blessings on their lives. Traditional Christianity teaches its adherents to believe in a supernatural God who either blesses or curses according to one’s faith or lack thereof. I totally get that. I’m sure that’s why I am triggered by it. I still have some of my own forgiveness work to do around the negative effects that traditional Christianity had in my life and the negative effects I believe it continues to have on our culture. But, that is a topic for another post.

Spoiler Alert – the following may give away the results of the show.

As I watched the finale of The Voice last night, I noticed that the contestants who had previously looked upward, raised hands in praise, or touch the cross in gratitude did not do any of that when it was announced that they were in fourth, third, or second place and not the winner. I was not surprised by this, but curious what was going through their minds. Did they believe that they had failed God or lost favor with Jesus and therefore did not win? Did they believe that Satan had taken over the hearts of the voters who chose someone else to win? Were they so disappointed that they forgot about the biblical teaching that says, “In everything give thanks?”

I realize that it sounds as if I am calling out hypocrisy and being critical of these contestants. Admittedly, when I began writing this post, I was reliving the “trigger” I felt as I watched the show. Writing about it seems to have dissipated some of that energy. So, thank you for indulging me this far.

Gladly, I have learned, through many life experiences, that when anything stimulates that much feeling in me that there is something in my psyche calling out for me to give it attention and to address. The following is what comes to me as I sit with it in the moment.

While I no longer believe in an external God who blesses or curses depending upon faith or lack of faith, I do believe in the power of gratitude. Gratitude is an energy vibration of the heart. It is born from a deep connection in Love. When gratitude is felt and expressed, the energy extends well beyond the heart and reaches out into the universe to bless all creation. Gratitude is also an attracting vibration. It attracts to itself like frequency. Feeling and expressing honest gratitude attracts into our lives more gratitude and more for which to feel and express gratitude.

All things originate from one Source. That Source is Love. I don’t need to look up to express gratitude. I only need look at the world around me, acknowledge the Love imbued in all creation, breathe into my heart and connect with the Love I Am, and from my conscious connection, feel gratitude with and for all that is. I don’t need to touch a representation of the cross to connect with gratitude. And, I can respect the need of those who do connect in those ways.

I now recognize that those reality show contestants are my teachers. They triggered my recognition that I do not “give thanks in all things.” In fact, I often do not allow myself to fully feel gratitude even in the things that I believe are “good” and “positive,” forget about those that I judge as “bad” or “negative.”

Today, I am committing to making a change. For years, I have heard and even talked about the power of a gratitude journal, yet I have never had one. I have played with the practice of making a mental list of things for which I am grateful before going to bed or upon waking, yet it is not my daily ritual. I have experienced the power of expressing gratitude for and to others, yet I don’t often do it. In fact, even though I am reluctant to admit it, I am aware that I often focus more on what I believe is missing or what someone doesn’t do rather than on what I have and what others contribute to my life. I am changing that today!

I also know the power of the adage, “one day at a time.” So, for today, I am starting a gratitude journal. I am taking one small step at a time. I commit to making a list of at least three things I am grateful for today, with the intention of doing the same every day. I will place a reminder about the power of gratitude somewhere so that I will see it before going to bed and when I awake in the morning to remind me to make my mental list. I will write at least one note of gratitude this week to someone who has contributed to my life, with the intention of making this a weekly practice. I will do my best to call forth the goodness in my consciousness in every situation, remembering to give thanks in all things and for all people.

Yes, gratitude is a powerful energy vibration. In this moment, I am grateful that I was triggered by the contestants on The Voice. I am grateful for the self-awareness that resulted. I am grateful for my willingness to be honest with myself and with all who are reading this post. I feel the heart-warming energy of gratitude. I am grateful for the blessing of gratitude. Thank you!

13 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby step, gratitude, celebrate, repeat--that's my simple formula for living in flow. No amount of progress is too small to be worthy of celebration. And, yes, the steps that feel like they go backwards or nowhere at all are also worthy. They are all essentials elements in the wonder of the journey we call LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I am grateful for the inspiration and guidance you provide us through these blogs! There is love and light here, and they truly are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenn. I'm glad you connect with them.

      Delete
  4. You have inspired me to do the same! I gave my mom a gratitude journal and she once said it was one of the best gifts she had ever recieved. I also love the idea of showing gratitude to others with a note. What a beautiful thing to do! I think that it's a practice I would like to incorporate into my week. Thank you!
    Kate M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can support each other in being accountable to our intention.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration I have received through your expression about gratitude today, David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you David!! I started a gratitude journal several years ago and it keeps evolving. Now I put texts, emails, and mementos from loved ones in my journal and write about special moments in life. Thank you for always teaching us how to apply spiritual principles to our lives. You are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Carolyn. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to do a gratitude journal but found the power was in establishing a regular routine of pausing to be grateful - now last thing each night and first thing each morning & frequently in between. This afternoon I was delighted that I am still strong and healthy enough to unload 18 big bags of soil from my car, distribute & empty them into my raised bed planters, and still find myself only tired mostly because of heat but not sore. And that I'll be able to repeat the process tomorrow and the day after as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go, Kate. Thanks for staying connected.

    ReplyDelete