Search This Blog

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Evolving as the Christ


I am taking a week off from writing a blog post, so I am reposting something I wrote several years ago. As I consider the meaning of Easter and living Easter consciousness, this seems apropos.

                   ___________________________________________________

This past Sunday, after service, I had an in-depth and thoughtful conversation with a congregant. I really enjoy it when, after a Sunday talk, someone wants to engage in a deeper exploration of the topic. I interpret it to mean that my talk stimulated some questions and personal exploration, and I feel gratified.

At one point in our conversation she asked me if I thought it is easier for me in my position as the minister of the church, in comparison to those in other careers, to be more consciously aware of my Christ nature in the midst of my daily activities. My immediate response was “no.” At the moment she asked the question, images of opportunities I have had to know and express the Truth of my being arose in my mind. I was keenly aware of the many times I fail to respond from my Christ nature. Sometimes I am successful, but not always.

However, I have now had time to further consider the question and my answer, and in hindsight I would have chosen to respond differently.  A simple “no” does not capture the complexity of the question, nor does it provide an adequate or completely honest response. So, I thought I would share some of the thoughts that have come up for me in retrospect.

I realize there are exceptions, but for most of us fully embodying our Christ nature does not happen instantaneously, nor is it sustained constantly. Living in and from the conscious awareness of the Christ is an evolutionary and transformative process. The transformation of personal consciousness from the belief in separation, which is the primary cause of suffering, to the awareness of oneness, our Truth, usually happens over the course of a lifetime; however, instances of conscious evolution may occur multiples times each day provided we are willing to consciously and actively participate in the process.



Each person, situation or issue that stimulates suffering, regardless of the intensity of feeling, is an opportunity for us to evolve. We can choose to meet life with curiosity and commitment, in so doing evolve with it, or we can resist it and continue to suffer.

We evolve, not by ignoring our pain or pretending that we are too “spiritual” to feel it. We evolve through our willingness to acknowledge the pain, feel it, and process through the thoughts we are thinking about ourselves or another that formulate our belief in separation.

Then, through our willingness to question the belief and discover the truth, we are able to come to the place of understanding, compassion and the remembrance of Truth, ours and another’s. While it may not be what we commonly think of as such, I consider this an evolution of consciousness, moving from the belief in separation to an awareness of oneness, which we may consciously choose in any given situation. And, each time we choose conscious evolution we contribute to the transformation of our consciousness.

While evolution is a continual process of growth and change, transformation, though it frequently occurs through a process of growth and change, is ultimately a state of sustained alteration of consciousness. One who has achieved this transformation and lives in the state of realized Oneness is often referred to as “enlightened” or “awakened”. In the Christian tradition, we believe Jesus was an enlightened master whose consciousness was fully evolved and who fully embodied the Christ.

There are people living today who some believe are living in this state of consciousness, a small list includes Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now; Byron Katie, creator of The Work of Byron Katie®; and Gangaji, teacher and author of The Diamond in Your Pocket and other books. There are others who are no longer living who are also considered to have been enlightened, such as Meister Eckhart, Sai Baba and Jiddu Krishnamurdi, to name a few. While a few of those named are believed to have attained enlightenment suddenly, most are reported to have attained this level of consciousness through their commitment to spiritual practice, practices that helped to facilitate transformation one evolution at a time.

If you have read this far, you may be wondering how all of that pertains to the original question. Well, I do not claim to be an enlightened master who lives fully from a transformed consciousness, yet. I do, however, assert that I am engaged in the process of conscious evolution to the best of my ability.

So, my answer to whether living from my Christ nature is easier because I am a minister is still “no,” but if asked if it is easier for me to live from Christ consciousness because of my spiritual practice and because my commitment to be in ministry helps keep me focused on my evolutionary process, my answer would be “yes”.  

Every day, often multiple times a day, I am presented with opportunities to engage in the process of conscious evolution. At times, I am tempted to run and hide. And, to be honest, there have been times in my past when I have avoided it as strenuously and persistently as possible. But, as I am sure you have noticed, life continues to show up, and each of us has to choose whether we will meet it and evolve with it or resist it and suffer through it.

I am grateful for the tools I have acquired during my years of conscious spiritual study and practice. Utilizing those tools helps me to, more and more, stay firmly grounded in my Truth and to be the best Christ I can be in any given moment. I am grateful to be in a position that allows me the opportunity to explore and discuss this transformation process with others as we make this journey together.

2 comments :

  1. What a great essay! I believe that "Each person, situation or issue that stimulates suffering,..., is an opportunity for us to evolve" is one of the basic tenants of the spiritual journey Life is for us, and everything has the potential to call forth from us a deeper response to our life in God.

    Moreover, Spirit is always supporting us in this journey. I love the March 29,'19 entry in Daily Word; It says, "The Grace of God matches my efforts to exercise my spiritual will. Just as benefactors or organizations match donations given on behalf of a worthy cause, my efforts are matched many times over by the spiritual resource that is infinite intelligence and compassion."

    I know the Divine Source, seeks ever greater expression of goodness and love through me, and remembering this gives me courage and strength on my spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for, once again, sharing your truth with vulnerability and clarity for the benefit of all.

    ReplyDelete