Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2019

I Am the Light of the World


“You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5: 14 – 16

In this excerpt from the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus used a metaphor familiar to his audience as he often did to relay his message. Historical documents, as well as archaeological evidence, reveal that in Jesus’s time, families often lived communally. Several families lived in the same structure, each having a separate partitioned space. Oil lamps provided light at night. A family without the means to purchase oil depended upon the light from others’ lamps. Most often, the light was freely shared. However, if there was dissension between families, one with oil might cover their lamp to prevent others from benefiting from the light.

Although he was most certainly speaking to those who would hear his message literally, admonishing them to share resources, he was also speaking to those who were able to discern his deeper meaning. He was encouraging his disciples and followers to share spiritual truth and understanding with each other and to bring the light of Truth to those who had not yet heard his message.

His message, which is summarized in the opening sentence above is, “You are the light the world.” Jesus was here to teach that each of us is an expression of the One True Light, which he called “Father.” We are here to be that Light in the world through our thoughts, words and actions so that the awareness of the One True Light will be expanded in the consciousness of humanity. In Unity speak, we are the Christ in human form here to consciously awaken to our Christ Light and to bring that consciousness into manifestation on this Earthly plane.



Jesus was instructing his listeners, then and now, to BE the Christ in the world so that others may benefit from our example.

We begin by acknowledging the indwelling Christ, the Light that enlightens all.

Affirm: I Am the Christ expressing, right here, right now. I Am the Light of the world.

We admit the Light.

Affirm: My mind is still and my heart is open as I realize the Christ as my own True Light. I Am the Light of the world

We surrender to the Light.

Affirm: The Mind of Christ is my mind now. I Am the Light of the world.

We embody the Light.

Affirm: I am the embodiment of the Christ. I Am the Light of the world.

We BE the Light.

Affirm: The Christ thinks as me. The Christ speaks as me. The Christ acts as me. The Christ serves as me. I Am the Light of the world.

In my lesson at Unity Spiritual Center Denver on Sunday at 10:00, I will explore further what it means for us to proclaim, “I am the Light of the world.” If you are unable to attend, please listen to or download the podcast or watch the video recording next week.

All of my lessons are available on podcast and most are available on video. If you find these lessons inspiring, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to Unity Spiritual Center Denver. Thank you!

No comments :

Post a Comment