Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Love Moves The World


In Unity, we often speak of God as Omnipresence, Omniscience, and Omnipotence, the self-existent One. While everywhere present, all-knowing, and all-power are wonderfully descriptive concepts for what we think of as God, none of those captures the idea of God expressing, living, giving, or doing.

In her book, The Ultimate: Your Self Revealed, New Thought teacher and author, Marie S. Watts, uses those terms as aspects of God, but she also adds ‘Omni-Action.’ God does not simply exist as potential; God is the Life that is continually expressing in, through and as all.

I like to think of the ‘Omni-Action’ of God as Love. In other words, the one activity, the only action of God, as we understand God, is Love. Love truly does move the world.



We are created as the image/likeness of God, we too are Love in expression. Our highest purpose is to be Love in this manifest realm. We are here to move the world through the power of Love expressing as each of us.

When Jesus was teaching his disciple and other followers, he was instructing them in ways that their thoughts, words and actions could be more in alignment with Love. When he talked about “turning the other cheek;” “giving your shirt to someone who just took your coat;” “walking two miles when someone forces you to walk one;” or “doing good to those who persecute you,” he was giving examples of the actions of one who lives from the consciousness of Love. He was not attempting provide an all-inclusive list. He was instead providing them with training wheels of sorts.

Jesus would often say, “you’ve heard it said…, but I say to you…” He was shifting the paradigm from the previously held concept of God as judging and punishing to the understanding of God as Love. He was offering a different perspective and pointing the way to live from it.

In addition to providing examples of loving actions, he also spoke about developing the consciousness of Love. Perhaps his greatest teaching the consciousness of Love is captured in what we know as the Beatitudes, or the “Be Attitudes.” He spoke of the attitudes of heart and mind that open us to a greater awareness and connection with Love. He promoted being willing, humble, open, earnest, vulnerable, and merciful. When we adopt these attitudes, we become open and willing vessels for Love’s expression.

Jesus taught radical love. His concept of living love is one that still is foreign to us. Many still subscribe to the religion about Jesus, rather than “Love – the Religion of Jesus.” It matters little what we believe about the circumstances of his birth or the reason for his death. What matters to us and to the world is how he lived and whether we choose to follow his example. If we are to bring the kingdom of heaven upon the Earth, it is up to us, individually and collectively, to embrace his teaching and begin to live more fully as Love.

Join us on Sunday at 10:00 for our service at Unity Spiritual Center Denver. We will explore further how “Love moves the World” when we allow Love to awaken in us, move us, and inspire us to action.

2 comments :

  1. I've heard some contemporary musicians, rappers mostly, use the expression "that's the way I roll..." to explain their behavior. It's like, that's just what I do, that's how I get along. Well, I think Love is the way God rolls. It's just what God does, in any situation or circumstance, God loves. So I am learning to look at my life experience through that lens; Everything that comes into my life is here in Love's service, to help me recognize God's Love all around me. Not always easy, but I believe Spirit knows what I need and loves me enough to see me through the process of awakening. H. Emily Cady offers us this affirmation: "God works with me to will and to do whatsoever He wishes me do, and He cannot fail." (Lessons in Truth, p.56). I offer this affirmation, "Love is the way God rolls."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your focus on Love, the religion of Jesus during this Lenten Season. Your messages have been clear and inspiring. There is much to ponder when we think about "love". It's easy to say, "yes I love my family, my friends, etc. but when we extend that emotion out to others, it seems to become complicated with judgments about others who we deem different than us. That is when we need to ask ourselves how selfish are we with our love? Thank you for pointing out what Jesus did say about who we should love. I also appreciate Glen's affirmation, "Love is the way God rolls." So appropriate for today's audience. Bottom line, Love is the religion of Jesus, and should also be ours. That is what New Thought reinforces, but you have done a great job of reminding us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete