Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2017

How Do I Love Thee?

Recently, a friend who I had not connected with for more than a year reached out to me by text message. I was glad to hear from her. She has been a trusted and supporting friend for years. In her text she said that she had been going through a challenging time and asked if we could speak by phone. Through a series of texts, we arranged a time for us to talk.

During our call, we enjoyed a heart-full reconnection. I was happy to hear that she is well, but learned that she had just come through a difficult time after ending a long-term relationship. Near the end of our call, she said something that caused me to pause. She said, “I reached out to you because I know you love God as much as I do.”

It may seem strange for me as a minister to be taken aback by her comment, yet I was. Honestly, I was surprised that she used those words to describe me.

To love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength¹ is the greatest commandment according to our master teacher and way-shower, Jesus, so it is certainly something one should aspire to, but I had not thought of myself in that light. Also, because of my perception of God, I don’t often think in terms of “loving God.”

In my way of thinking, God is not a being, but is the ground of all Being. God is no thing, yet is the Life that imbues All. God is Light. God is Wisdom. God is not someone or something to love, but is Love itself. Therefore, I questioned, “How do I love God? How do I love Love?” I decided to contemplate it.



What follows are some ideas that came to me in response to my contemplation.


“To love” implies devotion of time, energy and attention. We devote time, energy and attention to God through prayer, meditation, contemplation, presence, and giving time, talent and energy in service to others and the world.

Prayer opens the mind and connects us with God Mind. Prayer is a practice of intentionally redirecting attention from the effects in the outer manifest world to the cause in the inner spiritual world. It is a conscious activity that moves us from the usual focus on the third dimensional realm to the fourth dimensional realm which Jesus called “The Kingdom of Heaven“ or as Unity cofounder, Charles Fillmore preferred, “the Kingdom of the heavens.”

Charles Fillmore, in The Revealing Word says,

Fourth dimension - A transcendent realm that Jesus called the "kingdom of the heavens." Here one can discern the trend of spiritual forces and see with the spiritual vision of the Christ Mind.

The fourth dimension (which embraces and encompasses the other three dimensions) is also realization, the doing away with time and space and all conditions. The human mind, with its limited reasoning faculties, is bound by time, space, and conditions and can get no farther into the spiritual than reason will take it, but when we go beyond reason into the realm of realization, then we have attained the consciousness of pure being, the fourth-dimension mind.

Charles Fillmore also stated in Keep a True Lent,

Mind is the great meeting ground between God and humankind, and it is only through the most highly accelerated mind action, as in prayer, that we consciously make union.

We love God as we devote time to our prayer practice.

We love God as we meditate and open to the inflow of inspiration. Meditation, going into the Silence, slows the mental activity and provides a space into which Divine Ideas flow.

In his book, Christian Healing, Charles Fillmore said,

A daily haft hour of meditation will open up the mind to a consciousness of the inner One and will reveal many things that are hidden from the natural man.

We love God as we focus time and attention in contemplation, such as the one discussed here. Contemplation helps us move beyond our normal way of thinking, let go of our preconceived ideas about what things mean and how things should be, and open to higher knowing and understanding. Contemplating on Divine Ideas and spiritual teaching helps to activate the powers of Wisdom and Understanding and allows us to see ourselves and the world from a different perspective.

We love God as we open and invite the physical awareness of God, by whatever name we call it - Life Energy, Chi, Holy Spirit, or Shekinah – to name a few. Heart-focused breathing, a practice promoted by HeartMath Institute helps to bring awareness into the body. The practice involves focusing attention in the heart while breathing more deeply than normal. It helps to connect, through the breath, with the Life of God that is breathing us. Practices, such as yoga, Tai Chi, Tai Chi Gung, and others, also help to connect us with the breath and bring focused attention to the Life Energy that is God moving in and through all creation. These practices, when engaged in consciously and intentionally, are ways to love God through our devoted attention.

We also love God by being present and aware of the activity of God in and through all creation. When we take time to stop and witness the beauty of nature, listen to the song of the birds, sit beside a rushing stream, walk on the beach, gaze in awe at the night sky or simply delight in the taste of strawberry, we are loving God.

Most importantly, we love God through witnessing, appreciating and serving God in others. This is one aspect of Jesus’ second greatest commandment. We love the God in others when we devote time and space to listen deeply with them and share empathic connections. We love the God in others when we show compassion and kindness. We love the God in others when we give from our hearts to help them meet their needs, whether physical, emotional or spiritual. We love the God in others through the gift of our presence.

In addition, and certainly not to be forgotten, we love God by loving ourselves. We love God by speaking words of kindness and support to ourselves every day. We love God as us by taking care of our bodies, getting rest, eating nourishing foods, drinking water. We love God as us by acknowledging our gifts and talents and giving them authentic expression. We love God as us by receiving from others, whether it be words of praise and gratitude, gifts of their time and presence, or even gifts of a material nature. We love God as us as we recognize and realize the expression of the Christ that we are. We love God as us as we let the Christ Light shine in all we say and do.

Borrowing from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I ask, “Oh God, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.” Yes, I do love God. I love God in many different ways, in the formed and the unformed. I love God as the Life living in all, as all. Could I love God more completely and fully? Yes!

So, my contemplation continues and I invite you to join me. Count the ways that you love God, and then ask yourself, “How can I love God more?” I am eager to hear your insights.

Join us this Sunday, December 17, as we observe the third Sunday of Advent. We will explore how Mary and Joseph can teach how the power of Love can give birth to the Christ in the world.


¹ Matthew 12: 30 - 31

12 comments :

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. Sometimes, traditional Christian thought confuses our thinking, often burdening us with guilt and fear, and only making it more difficult to really love God. The practices you outline here offer us concrete ideas to think about, truth that we may recognize and learn to understand, so that we can realize the truth in our own experience, and finally see it revealed in out own lives.

    I remember a verse from the rock musical "Godspell" where they sing,
    Day by day,Day by day,
    Oh Dear Lord, three things I pray;
    To see Thee more clearly,
    Love Thee more dearly,
    Follow thee more nearly,
    Day by day.

    Thank you for helping us better understand how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup- just had a devotional with my kids around this blog

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Glenn. Yes! May that be my prayer, to see, love and follow. Blessings

      Delete
  2. Excellent understanding & observations David. Thank you for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and inspirational- thank you David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly do I hear what other’s imagine God and I connect with this entire message so thank you. The rush rush of this world is killing me and this is the opposite complete opposite so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m thrilled that you found some meaning and connection in my words. Blessings

      Delete
  5. I don’t understand the Unity definition of God. I know I have individuality. Everyone reading this has individuality. If God is the sum of us all, does God have individuality? Why can’t God be the sum of us all, experiencing everything we experience, yet retain individuality?

    That’s how I believe it works. We can say that God is all, but we cannot process all of us being God. Individuality is an aspect of all. If we have individuality, God must have individuality because God is all. God can have things we do not have, however we cannot have anything that God does not have. Maybe this only makes sense to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOH,
      I think you nailed it there! "If we have individuality, God must have individuality because God is all." In creation, all that God had to work with was itself, God. So if there is individuality, it must have been part of God. As David notes, God is not a being, but is the ground of all Being. Unity teaches that God is Principle. So this Principle, the Ground of All Being, must include a what we now are calling individuality. I believe that when God created me, what he created was the 'I AM", my deepest sense of individuality. But he created me part of Himself, and that Divine Spark is always within me. Individuality is different from the idea of being separate beings. I think of individuality as "I am God as me seeing God as you." (Namaste!) Separation is more like "I am me and you are somebody else." (not me!) That's the ego mind's version of individuality, and it would have us in a competition to be better (or worse) than others. True individuality opens us to expression of the gifts of God in us, as us. And it makes room for seeing the gifts of God in others as well. So I celebrate our individuality!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete