Search This Blog

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Grace and Gratitude

I recently heard it said, when referring to someone experiencing homelessness, “There but by the grace of God go I.” I hadn’t heard it in a while, but I recall that when I was younger I would often hear my parents and others say those words. I trust that I have said it myself. I don’t believe that it was ever spoken in judgment so much as from compassion or sympathy. Nor do I think it was judgment coming from the person who I heard it from recently. Still, I felt a twinge of pain.

The phrase, “There but by the grace of God go I” seems to imply that grace is something that is extended to some, but not to others, or at least is something that is given in measured amounts according to the determination of a capricious God.

It seems to be an implication by the one speaking the phrase that the one being observed is having an unenviable experience, and that because the one speaking is not sharing that experience that he or she enjoys grace in greater measure than does the other. It speaks to the concept that grace is something we do not deserve, yet by some twist of fate, some are blessed with it while others are not. Or worse, that some enjoy the “favor” of God while others do not and specifically that the person being observed is not experiencing grace. Which, is of course, impossible.

While this popular phrase may have reflected my concept of grace at one time in the past, it no longer resonates with my understanding of God or my definition of grace. Either we all live in a constant state of grace or no one does. Either the grace of God is extended equally to all, or there is no grace.



The following are three different perspectives of grace. Each of them speaks more closely to how I perceive grace today.

Unity minster and author, Eric Butterworth, in his book The Universe is Calling says,

Living in a state of grace can mean nothing more or less than living in a disciplined awareness of the divine flow. God’s flow is constant. Our experience of it changes with our consciousness…Grace is simply a wonderful facet of the activity of God in you. It is not something you must work for or develop. It simply is.

Franciscan priest and author, Richard Rohr, in his book, Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self, says,

Basically, grace is God’s first name, and probably last too. Grace is what God does to keep all things he has made in love and alive – forever. Grace is God’s official job description. Grace is not something God gives; grace is who God is. If we are to believe the primary witnesses, an unexplainable goodness is at work in the universe. (Some of us call this phenomenon God, but that word is not necessary. In fact, sometimes it gets in the way of the experience, because too many have named God something other than Grace.)

American-born Zen Buddhist author and teacher, Adyashanti, in his book, Falling Into Grace, says,

In essence, grace is anything that helps us truly open – our minds, our bodies, our emotions, our hearts. Sometimes grace is soft and beautiful. It appears as insight. It comes as a sudden understanding, or maybe just a blossoming of our hearts, the breaking open of our emotional bodies so that we can feel more deeply and connect with what is and with each other in a deeper way. Grace may also be quite fierce. There are times in life that are very, very trying. At the time, grace might be hard to recognize, but as we think back to these powerful times in our lives, we can start to see the great gift that was received.

Knowing and trusting that I live in the constant state of grace awakens me in mind, body and spirit to the awareness of the eternal flow of Life in me, through me, as me. And, it elicits an experience of Great-fullness that overflows from me as gratitude and thanksgiving for everything I experience and for everyone who comes into my life.

Knowing and trusting that I live in a constant state of grace, I see everything and everyone as my teachers who show up at the perfect times and places to help me awaken to the Truth of who I am.

Knowing and trusting that I live in the constant state of grace, I feel more peaceful. I can move forward knowing that I can choose the perspective that everything happens for my ultimate good, even if I am unable to see it in the moment. It encourages me to look for the good.

Perhaps this is what the apostle Paul meant when he said, “In every thing give thanks” (I Thessalonians 5:18 KJV). He did not say to give thanks for everything, but in everything. When we know that we live in the constant state of grace, we can live with an attitude of gratitude and be open to witnessing the potential for a blessing in all things.

I invite you to join me in saying the following affirmation daily, and continually throughout the day:

I live in a constant state of grace.

Use these words to remind yourself that no matter what happens, whether you evaluate it as “good” or “bad,” that you live in a constant state of grace. You are a state of grace. Allow whatever happens in your life to open you to a greater connection with your divinity and the divine life expressing as all that you see. Let that awareness bring you to the experience of Great-fullness and let it overflow as expressions of gratitude and thanksgiving.


Join us on Sunday for our 10:00 service as we explore further the connection between Grace and Gratitude.

4 comments :

  1. This message truly resonates with me. I've had my share of 'good' times and also struggles. I have not appreciated the 'bad' times when they've come but have learned the Lord is always there and found those were the times I've learned the most. I call them mixed blessings. Also I learned that the saying "if not for the Grace of God" is indeed hurtful to some when I expressed praise / thankfulness for my blessings. One person reacted with bitterness and anger. I did not know her well or understand so I prayed on it. And suddenly I understood how my words had been hurtful to her. Now I'm not sure how/when it is a good thing to share my praise and gratefulness. How can I share my faith and gratitude without offending others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on! Thank you for sharing transformative insights to support hope, possibilities and empowerment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciated all the quotes you used as examples of grace, they all resonate. The quote by Adyashanti resonated the most for me. How blessed we are when we can "understand" grace in our own lives. Thanks for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog. I have never felt comfortable saying that " by the Grace of God goes I" because it always reminded me of the the story in the Bible where the Pharisee and the tax collector came to the Temple to pray and the exchange of each one.

    ReplyDelete