Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2016

To BE or Not to BE

Since beginning my lesson series, “Life as Art,” that I completed last Sunday (listen here), I have been focusing more consciously on connecting with my soul – my unique individuated expression of God. In fact, I have been engaging in conversations with my soul.

I feel a bit anxious sharing that. I fear that some may consider it strange, either because they do not believe it is possible to converse with one’s soul or because they don’t believe in the reality of the soul. There was a time I would have thought it odd as well.

In times past I have even questioned the validity of the notion that each of us is a unique soul. Needless to say, with all of this ambiguity I would not have fathomed the possibility of actually having a conversation with mine. Yet, I have come to know, through my own experience, that unequivocally there is an aspect of us that exists outside of time and space. Further, that we can consciously connect with it.

I am convinced that there is a consciousness, or an energy field, that holds within it a higher knowing of who we are and why we have incarnated at this particular time in the evolution of human consciousness.

As an emanation of God, the Creative Life Force, the soul holds profound wisdom and is our greatest teacher. Author and teacher, Byron Katie, founder of The Work, said “You are the only guru you will ever need.” She also quips that ‘guru’ should actually be an acronym for “Gee, You Are You.”



During a recent conversation with my soul I asked, “What is my greatest lesson in this incarnation?” How do I master that lesson?” “What is blocking me?”

The answer came very quickly:

“Your greatest lesson is to learn to ‘BE.’”

To which I asked, “What does it mean to ‘BE?’

My soul replied,

“To BE means to be present in every moment for what is alive in the moment. It means to grow and learn from what is showing up in your world.”

“You are at the center of your universe, and you are co-creating everything that you experience. If it is showing up for you, some aspect of you has drawn you to it. Allow it to be your teacher.”

“You will master the lesson by practicing being present in the moment. Your life is your teacher!”

“You are blocking your lesson because you hold a belief that it is not safe to have fun and experience so much joy. You have been injured physically and emotionally when being enthusiastic. As a result, you block it.”

“Try it. Be present with your joy and enthusiasm. See how it goes.”

While none of that was really new information or surprising, I heard it in a way that I had not previously been able to. I was reminded of the teaching of Jesus when he said, “Unless you become as a little child, you shall never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3).

Children engage in life with curiosity and wonder. They are always eager to learn. They often ask, “Why?” and “What is that?” Unless they are restricted by adults, they dance when the music moves them, sing when they feel the urge, laugh when they are happy and cry when they’re hurt or sad. Children are present to what is alive in the moment. Jesus was teaching us that we must allow ourselves to be present for life and live it as a child does in order to know the presence of God. God shows up in everything and everyone. We must embrace life and ‘BE’ if we are to experience God in every moment.

To become as a child means to reclaim the purity and light of our souls. We all knew ourselves in this truth prior to taking on the myths, messages and beliefs of the world and forming a sense of self based upon them. Jesus was saying that our belief that we are something other than the pure and perfect Light of God – our belief in separation - blocks our conscious awareness of our divine nature.

To enter the kingdom of heaven means that we reclaim the conscious knowing of our unity in God and our unique expression of God.

My soul was also telling me to lighten up, that I take life too seriously. It was a great reminder for me to let go, and enjoy every moment.

This is my life. It may not be the only life my soul has lived or will live, but it is the life I am living now. To paraphrase Bil Keane, cartoonist of The Family Circus, “Every moment is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.” If I am not present for my life, then who will be? There is no one but me who is here to engage fully with my soul and bring it into expression. Likewise, you are the only one who can fully engage with your soul and give it expression.

In order for us to do that we must learn to ‘BE’ present for life in every moment. Through the practice of ‘BE-ing’ we will come into the full realization and manifestation of our soul.

I hope you will join us at 10:00 this Sunday as we welcome a very special guest speaker and guest musician. My friends Rev. David Ault and Ty Andrews will be here to share the message and music. I know you will be blessed as they share from their hearts and souls with us.


I will be back on Sunday, June 19, after what promises to be an inspiring Unity People’s Convention in Kanas City. I hope to see you then.

2 comments :

  1. I love that idea that to "become as little children..." means to be completely open to life. It really makes sense. I do believe that the experiences that come into my life are for my awakening to my oneness with the Divine Source, God. So those experiences come with hidden gifts, a blessing that I can find if i am open and willing to let Spirit work in my life. The quote from Matthew is a great reminder of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main impediment to being like children is shame. We are all taught shame for things that are needless to teach shame. I am ashamed when I take something that isn't mine; when I hurt someone; when I do something that negatively affects another being. I am not ashamed of my body or dancing in front of people or just being silly. These things I say because I fully believe them, not because I can do them. From now on I'll try to BE more of the things I like and less of the things I don't. Great message Rev!

    ReplyDelete