Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Walking the Talk

In my post last week I talked about being “triggered” by a comment I recently heard during a group conversation. If you did not read that post, and would like to, please follow this link. In my lesson this past Sunday, I talked about why I was triggered and shared some of my thoughts about our responsibility to respond to human suffering in the world. Also, in observance of Earth Day, I talked about our responsibility to care for Earth and our environment. If you would like to hear that talk, please follow this link, but I request that you finish reading this article first.

After hearing comments from some who were in attendance last Sunday and receiving feedback from others who heard comments, I understand that my talk was a “trigger” for some, stimulating powerful feelings of anger, guilt and pain, among others.  Others were inspired by what I said.  For that, I am grateful.

I am reluctant to admit this, but when I heard comments from and about those who were “triggered” by my message on being “triggered”, I was “triggered” again. I recognized it was a cycle in which I felt angry and defensive. I told myself that my message must not have been heard or that it was misunderstood.  Further, in my mind, I defended my position by telling myself that if they were “triggered” it was because they have work to do around these issues. It pains me to say this, but, yes, I came to realize that I was self-righteous in my conviction that my words and my impactful delivery were justified.

Over the past few days, I have taken time to connect with myself and reflect upon Sunday. While I do not regret what I said or my intention for the lesson, I do mourn the energy from which I expressed. It is painfully clear to me in hindsight that my energy spoke much louder than my words. I use the word ‘painfully’ quite intentionally, because I am pained knowing that I stimulated pain in others. I will do my best to clarify what I mean.

I began my lesson retelling the story of the conversation that triggered me. In doing that, the emotion I originally experienced was stimulated once again. The dismay and anger I felt the first time arose again by just relaying the story. As a result, my entire talk was expressed from that energy. That realization troubles me, and that is what I mourn and regret. Although I know it’s not possible, I would like a “do-over.”

We seldom, if ever, get “do-overs” in life. While I cannot go back and give my Sunday lesson again, as with all life experiences, I can learn and grow as I reflect upon it. Sunday, as well as the subsequent feedback and personal reflection, have reminded me of the importance of self-connection, self-empathy and understanding. This spiritual practice is essential to connecting deeply with others. Only when I connect with my own humanity am I willing and able to connect with the humanity in others. If I could do it over, I would choose to engage in some quality time of self-connection prior to or even during the service on Sunday.

When I take time to connect with myself in response to the suffering in the world and with what I perceive as a lack of care for the Earth, I realize that the emotions beneath the anger are pain and sadness. When I look at the condition of the world and the extent of suffering and need, I also often feel helpless and hopeless. While I know that I want to make a meaningful contribution to the world, the truth is, I don’t know what to do. I trust that we all share the desire to make a difference, and that many can relate to the pain, sadness, and confusion I feel.

Had I been self-connected on Sunday, I would most likely have sat on the edge of the stage and grieved with those present, rather than standing on it to preach. My greatest desire and intention as a spiritual leader is to connect heart-to-heart with those I serve. My highest intention is to always stand in love and do my best to never come from the energy of judgment, fear or lack, which often demonstrates as anger. I now recognize that I did not achieve my highest intention this past Sunday. I mourn any pain I may have stimulated.

My intention for my lesson was to affirm that through prayer we can connect with God and transform our consciousness. From that consciousness of unity in God and with all creation, we respond to all people, as well as the Earth and our environment from love. Love is the highest expression of God as us. I recognize that on Sunday I was not holding the space for this highest expression of love within myself.

I am mindful that Integrity is one of our core values at Unity Church of Denver. When I think of integrity, the phrases, “walk the talk” and “practice what you preach” come to mind. They remind me of the fifth of Unity’s five basic principles which says, “Knowledge of spiritual principles is not enough. We must also live them.” We must be willing to live in alignment with what we say we believe, and live our principles to the best of our ability and capacity in any moment.

On Sunday, my capacity to live in integrity - in the moment - was not where I would have liked, nor did it reflect the attributes for your spiritual leader that I wish to be. I talked about love from the energy of anger and fear, and I mourn that I stimulated pain. I hope that we can connect through our shared humanity of this experience.

It has been a week of growth and revelation for me, and I celebrate this opportunity for us to learn and grow together as a community. I continue to hold you in the light of love, and I trust you will do the same for me. I do not take my responsibilities lightly and my connection with those I serve is important to me. You are important to me.

Please join me on Sunday as we explore together what it means to live in integrity with ourselves and in community with each other.


9 comments :

  1. Wow, I am really surprised by this blog. This was my first time seeing you speak and I saw a man questioning the conditions of human life and the struggle to perceive things as God would, which I personally found enlightening. Not because of the struggle, but because as a leader it is often difficult to be vulnerable, as one is often held to a different standard but there you were opening up to all of us about your confusion.
    On a daily basis we are or can be “triggered” by what another does, but is that not our opportunity to look upon who is triggering us and not only acknowledge them as the Christ wishing to be seen, but also our own cry to be seen as Christ? How can I call truth to the lies that fill my consciousness if no one helps to reveal them to me? Being triggered is not fun but it can be useful in showing us that we feel separate from God, which blesses us with the opportunity to seek the Kingdom and recognize that we are now, and always at one with the Father.
    I got a lot out of the message Sunday; it mirrored my own struggles in life and offered the final message that being still, sitting in love and praying to change my consciousness and judgments are what will allow me to meet the needs of my brothers and sisters. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am pleased to know that you connected with the intent of my message. I am comforted in hearing your perspective. I want to be clear that I do not regret what I said. I am deeply troubled by the suffering in the world, and I want to help inspire us all to connect with love and respond from love. I want to come from love and inspire love in others. I hope to see you on Sunday.

      Delete
  2. I found last Sunday's sermon to be one of your most powerful teachings, David. I want my spiritual leader to call me forth, challenge me to live bigger and better into the world. Challenge my pride. My complacency. My self-satisfaction. Prompt me to ask myself - am I singing the note I'm to sing in this world as loudly and lovingly as I can?

    I did NOT hear self-righteousness. I heard a man courageously asking his community to step forward and look at themselves in the mirror (as you yourself have modeled so beautifully).

    If there's triggering happening, GREAT! That's a direct clue that there's material to look at. There is darkness in the world, and you laid down the challenge for each of us individually and collectively to peer into that darkness. And to do something.

    For me, I come to church to be nudged into that next bigger and better self I can become. That can be uncomfortable.

    What a gift a mirror can be. You gave us that gift last week.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela. Thank you for your comment. I am thrilled to know that you and others connected with me in a way that was meaningful and that what I said impacted you in a positive way. It is my highest intent to inspire and motivate, not to shame or manipulate.

      I appreciate hearing that you enjoy being challenged to live your light and love in the world when you come to church. I think that is one of the reasons we come together - to inspire and encourage each other to know our divine nature and to live it to the best of our ability.

      Thank you for seeing the highest and best in me and connecting with my humanity.I hope to model "looking in the mirror" and seeing myself honestly, even when I don't particularly like what I see. It is only then that I can choose to change it.

      Thank you for being my mirror.

      Delete
  3. I would like to echo the two comments above.

    I did not hear an ounce of self-righteousness in your talk last week. In fact, I heard the opposite. I heard a lot of love… self-love and love for others. You were vulnerable and brave in your willingness to wrestle with these concepts in front of and with many of us.

    Above, you said, “My intention for my lesson was to affirm that through prayer we can connect with God and transform our consciousness. From that consciousness of unity in God and with all creation, we respond to all people, as well as the Earth and our environment from love…” I believe you did exactly that and you did so with courage, grace, and passion.

    Had you sat on the edge of the stage and grieved with us I don’t know if you would have made the same impact and further you would have denied what I felt was a beautiful moment to connect with us through passion.

    You expressed anger, and for many in New Thought anger is dangerous. I believe anger is a very necessary emotion and helps to move us forward if we are brave enough to process it. Through my lens, the anger you expressed was a “cold anger”, one of thoughtfulness and passion vs. “hot anger” which is unproductive and often leads to self-righteousness and even violence.

    I appreciate your courage and your passion and I hope that you don’t stifle that simply that because some people aren’t ready to look in the mirror.

    I am deeply grateful for you and your leadership. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. I appreciate knowing your perspective. And, I value your commitment and passion for social justice and change. Thank you for hearing on Sunday that I was sharing my own struggle from what I was experiencing in the moment.

      It is important to me that I do not attempt to motivate people to action from a place of fear, lack, guilt, or blame. I think that may be what some people experienced or heard. And, I can own that I may have been feeling and expressing some of that energy. If so, that pains me. I, along with many, have had enough of that in my life.

      I want to do my best to inspire people to action from a place of deep connection in our shared humanity and with the love of God inherent in and as all. If I can do that, then I will be fulfilling my intention as a spiritual leader.

      I also recognize that each of us has the responsibility of looking at our own "triggers" and exploring them for ourselves. This is a valuable part of our spiritual growth. Again, as a spiritual leader, I hope to encourage us to take responsibility for our own experience and be willing to be vulnerable in our connections with each other.

      I love the richness of the dialog this is stimulating. It is a great learning opportunity for how we can be in community together as a church family and as a human family.

      Delete
  4. Apparently I am not the only one who believes this, however the sermon this past Sunday was fabulous. I believe it is great that there is a whole lot of "triggering" going on!

    What I heard this past Sunday was the spiritual leader of this community, a human being, talking about being vulnerable, open and honest; the audacity!

    In this world, there is no unanimity on anything because we have diversity. I wouldn't have it any other way. This said, there are no perfect sermons; only sermons where someone, somehow, will have a problem with it. One of the closest people to perfection we had on this planet, who spoke to crowds regularly, we hung from a tree. Nothing will get 100% approval.

    I am grateful to and for David because I am never disappointed with his sermons. Sometimes I say "Amen"; sometimes I say "Hey! Hold on there!" But I am never disappointed. Please continue to share what you think with the congregation Rev! It is a gift you give us each Sunday you speak! I am grateful when I have my "Trigger" pulled because it is those times that I am forced to think, feel and consider. God Forbid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were out of town and therefore I missed this amazing sermon much to my chagrin; however I am so looking forward to further discussion and leadership from David and this community on how to alleviate the great suffering in our world. I for one believe we all need the provocation about how to act and make a difference. David, you demonstrate courage & vulnerability which is the hallmark of great leadership. The reactions & triggers can be a sign of new growth as we all wrestle with a very hard issue. David, thank you for your integrity and sincere love for us all. Best, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, since moving from Aurora, CO to Williamsburg, VA last September, I've continued to listen to all of your sermons via online download each week. I found this one to be just as authentic, loving, respectful, challenging, thought provoking and compassionate as every other message you've shared. Everything in life is an opportunity. I have experienced some of the greatest opportunities to continue deepening my own demonstration of unwavering unconditional love, respect, compassion and gratitude for myself precisely when others are expressing their great discomfort for how I'm choosing to show up. Their reaction is their opportunity. What I choose to do with it is mine. With continued love, respect and gratitude for your ministry in my life, Deborah Jane Wells

    ReplyDelete