Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Discover the Power Within You

On Wednesday, Phyllis Hoover and I began facilitating a six-week class based on the book, Discover the Power Within You, by Unity minister and author Eric Butterworth. On Sunday, I will begin a six-week series of lessons on the book as well. I hope you will join us as together we discover the nature of the power within us and how we can release that power to create the lives we desire.

My exploration of this class began with the title, Discover the Power Within You. What do we mean when we say that the ‘power’ or the Kingdom of God is “within” us? What is the Kingdom of God?  What do we mean by “within?”  Eric Butterworth helps to answer these questions in this book. He says that the Kingdom of God is not a place in space, thus “it is not somewhere to go, but something to be.” He further states that the Kingdom of God is the full potentiality of spirit which is expressed in each of us. This could be more clearly and directly stated as the potentiality of spirit expressed as each of us. The Kingdom of God within is not located within a particular point in space and time, but is that essence of life that is constantly evolving and expanding in expression. French author, Voltaire, is quoted as saying, “God [the Kingdom of God and the power within] is a circle whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere.” It is that expanding and evolving, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient life that is the power within.

In chapter 18, page 224 of the book, Butterworth relates the story of when the disciples asked Jesus, “When will the kingdom come?” to which Jesus replied “When the without shall become as the within.” What Jesus was saying is that when we realize the power within and express the full potential of that power, then the external, or the world, will reflect that full potential. As Butterworth states, “Life is growth and unfoldment, and life is lived from inside out.” In other words, using Unity terminology, when we fully embrace and embody the Christ, the full potential of humanity, then we will bring forth the Kingdom of God upon the earth. We will usher in, as is envisioned in the book of Revelation, the reign of peace on the Earth. 

Butterworth says, “Jesus’ message of the Kingdom is the message of wholeness.” Wholeness is a concept that can also be described as perfection, completion, containing all, or not broken or damaged. All of these concepts represent what Jesus teaches is the spiritual Truth of each of us. In our natural state of being, we are complete, unbroken, and perfect: we are whole, thus in our natural state we embody the Kingdom of God. Because we are whole, we can also say that the Kingdom of God is within us, as us. When wholeness is fully realized within our conscious awareness, which we can describe as being “within,” we will demonstrate that state of consciousness in the physical realm. This is the foundational teaching of Unity. The Kingdom of God realized is the perfection of God made manifest in all aspects of our lives, including the body, self-expression, finances, and relationships. We access the Kingdom of God, or the power within, by entering the Silence through prayer and meditation. In the Silence, realization of Oneness is actualized, and in this state of conscious realization the Kingdom of God consciousness is activated. Through the power of intention and the expression of our thoughts and words, the power within is demonstrated in our lives. It was this realization, actualization and activation that facilitated Myrtle Fillmore’s healing, and the healing of countless others.

“The Power with” is the fullness of God expressing as me. It is not contained within my body, or even within my mind. It cannot truly be contained “within” anything. It is the power in which I “live and move and have my being.” (Acts 17:28)  I can best comprehend it when I think of it as the power within which I am. I like to think of the Truth of me, the ‘I Am,’ as the idea of full potential that exists in the mind and the heart of God, which I also interpret as the Kingdom of God. I Am within the Kingdom of God, and the Kingdom of God is within me.  It makes perfect sense when I realize that, in Truth, all that is real is the Kingdom of God, so all that is real must exist within it, and all that is real must embody only that Truth. As I embrace that as my spiritual Truth, and keep my mind stayed on that Truth, I am at peace.  When I am at peace, I think thoughts of peace. When I think thoughts of peace, I express Love.  When I express Love, I experience joy. When I experience joy, I bring forth the Kingdom of God on the Earth. 


It matters less to me whether I can clearly express my mental understanding of the Kingdom of God or the power within, and more whether I can know the Truth of that power within me.  It is in knowing the Truth that I am free. I invite you to join me in affirming: “I am eternally in the Kingdom of God, I know the power that I am, and I express that power fully.”

3 comments :

  1. "I am eternally in the Kingdom of God, I know the power that I am, and I express that power fully."

    Amen!

    "Know" is a hard word to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We were talking about the space between us all and the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion, never glimpse the truth then it's far too late and they pass away. We were talking about the love we all could share, when we find it- to try our best to hold it there. With our love we could save the world ... and the time will come when you see we're all one and life goes on within you and without you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this amazing website! I just read J's message about Compassionate Communication and now your teaching about this very interesting book by Butterworth. It is really wonderful to know that there is a source of inspiration right here each week. See you all in Church!

    ReplyDelete