Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Listen and Follow

Over the course of the past few weeks, as I have been making preparations for our move from Arlington to Denver, I have been sorting through closets, store rooms, boxes and files in an attempt to clear out things that I am now willing to release.  In the process, I have come across many things that have caused me to question, “Why? Why did I ever hold on to this in the first place?”  Those items are easily tossed in the trash, recycled or donated to charity.  However, I have also discovered several belongings that are not so easily discarded.  Some discoveries have stimulated fond memories.  A few precious items have served to remind me of life choices I made years ago, decisions that while not always a part of my conscious awareness, have been guiding my life since.

In 1999, I received an ordination from The Alliance of Divine Love.  At the time, I was attending Cathedral of Light, a Religious Science church.  Reverend Kay Hunter was, and still is, the Senior Minister there.  During a Sunday service in 2000, much to the chagrin of the leadership of what was then the United Church of Religious Science, she honored several of us in her congregation who had been “called” to ministry.  I will forever be grateful to Rev. Kay for her decision to honor the inner call of Spirit even though by doing so she was criticized and censured by the Religious Science hierarchy for recognizing ordination outside of the organization.  She was, and my guess is that she still is, a rebel. 

In sorting through a box of papers this week, I discovered an envelope with “Rev. David” printed on it.  Inside I found three half sheets of colored paper imprinted with excerpts from various texts.  I immediately recognized them as quotes Rev. Kay shared during the service that Sunday in 2000. As I read them, I was especially touched by the quote from A Course in Miracles, which says,
“I am here only to be truly helpful.  I am here to represent God who sent me.  I do not have to worry about what to say or do, because God who sent me will direct me.  I am content to be where God wishes, knowing that God goes there with me.”
Reading this passage again reminded me of the commitment I made years ago, to do my utmost best to listen for the still, small voice, the impulse of Creative Life Force moving in me, as me, and to follow the urging of the God of my being to do what I am “called” to do.   And, while I may not and often do not understand the reason, I strive to move forward with faith knowing that all I need is provided in every moment as I am open to allow and receive it. 

Since 2000, I have followed my calling to the best of my ability, at times more willingly than at others.   I followed the call to Unity Church of Arlington in 2008, even though at the time I did not see how it was possible for someone with no Unity “credentials” to become the Spiritual Leader of a church.  However, through the persistence of the “search and found committee” and the congregation, the way unfolded, and I have enjoyed six years as Spiritual Leader.   At the time, I didn’t even know what it meant to be a Spiritual Leader of a Unity church.  Looking back now, I realize that I knew even less than I thought I knew.

Now, I am following the call to Unity Church of Denver to become the Spiritual Leader there.  I do not claim to know the reason or for what purpose I am being called from Arlington to Denver, but I feel the “call,” and I am content to be where God wishes.  I am doing my best moment by moment to keep my mind stayed on God, knowing that I do not need to worry about the “how.”  I simply must be open to the voice of God within, trusting that, as the ACIM quote above says, it will direct me in what to do and say.  I take comfort in believing that my experience has taught me a little more about what it means to be a Spiritual Leader.  And, although experience can be an important teacher, I remain committed to not allowing the past to determine the present or to adversely influence the future.  I am open to guidance of the Holy Spirit within.  With great anticipation, I stand with Unity co-founder, Charles Fillmore, and affirm, “I fairly sizzle with zeal and enthusiasm and spring forth with a mighty faith to do the things that ought to be done by me.”

I am grateful to everyone who has supported me along this journey, especially those at Unity of Arlington.  Your love, appreciation and acceptance has encouraged me to follow my “call” and bolstered my commitment to “represent God who sent me.”  

As you move forward together, I encourage you to pause frequently to listen for the still, small voice for God that is constantly and consistently guiding you toward the fulfillment of the divine idea that is Unity of Arlington.  Do not be restricted by the dictates of “conventional wisdom” or limited by any past experience.  Trust the God within to direct you even in what may seem to be the most mundane decision.  As you do, I know that you will be serving the highest and best for all.  I will be watching with amazed delight at the ways you are showing up.  You will always be in my heart, and in my prayers.

From Love,
David

3 comments :