Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The Sights and Sounds of Christmas

As I walk past houses in my neighborhood, I image that I see family and friends gathered to celebrate the holidays. They are sitting around the fireplace reminiscing about good times and bad.

I hear the laughter that can only be born from familiarity enjoyed in relationships that have spanned years or even decades of shared lived experiences. I am moved as I sense the tears they shed for the losses they have endured.

The savory fragrances of sage, thyme, and rosemary mingled with the sweet scent of freshly baked pies waft on the breeze as I stroll by the open kitchen windows.

In my mind, I see the table adorned with fresh flowers, greenery, and red candles befitting the season, all placed perfectly at the center and surrounded by the best china, finest silverware, and sparkling crystal that only makes an appearance on the most special occasions.

I marvel at the shimmering lights on the tree centered in the picture window that proclaims, “Christmas Time is Here!”


I sense the sugar-fueled excitement of children eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Jolly Ole Elf himself and the frenzy of parents racing to ensure that their children are not disappointed come Christmas morning.

All of the sights, and sounds, and smells take me back to a time and place when I was at the center of that kind of activity during the holidays. I am reminded of the joy, excitement, and comfort I felt surrounded by family, friends, and community.

My only regret is that I did not fully appreciate it. I know that not everyone has had or will have that experience, though it is my prayer that each and every one may feel the embrace and love of another.

If you are blessed to have family, dear friendships, or a close community, I encourage you to cherish them, nurture them, give them your time and energy, show up for them, be authentic with them, and above all do not take them for granted.

And if you know someone who could use the embrace of family, friends, or community during the holidays or at any time during the year, please reach out to them. You may never know the difference you make in another’s life.

Happy Holy Days!

1 comment :

  1. How so often we are not mindful of the joys we are experiencing with friends and families. They are precious. Loved your words and the reminder for me.

    ReplyDelete