Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Lessons From The Road

Since being on sabbatical, I have driven many miles. I have traversed highways, freeways, two-lane country roads, and roads that would appear to be no roads at all, but only well-beaten paths through the forest.

I have traveled long, flat sections of highway that seemed to extend beyond the horizon. I have driven winding mountain roads where the next s-curve was only visible as I made the turn.

I have ridden freshly paved highways that made it seem as though I was floating on glass. I have traveled rough gravel roads on which I feared that my fillings might be shaken loose from my teeth.

On my journey, I have witnessed the beauty of the mountains, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, cornfields, and forests. I have also seen the effects of flooding, wildfires, and drought.

Today, as I stop to contemplate my sabbatical journey thus far, I am aware of how all of this is a metaphor for life. Our lives are a journey. At times, we may travel for long stretches of time on a smooth path with no apparent obstacles, potholes, or rough patches. Other times, life can be rough and rocky and can shake and rattle us to our core.

Sometimes, life is a straight and direct path that we can traverse with ease and assurance. Sometimes, it twists and turns in ways that we could never have imagined.

Our journeys can reveal beauty, joy, and love. They can also present us with pain, sorrow, and loss.

As I was driving today, I noticed a sign on the side of the highway. I could not help but notice since it was one of the lighted marquee signs with flashing amber lights. It read ROUGH ROAD AHEAD.” I laughed out load. I thought, Wouldnt it be nice if we had signs along lifes journey directing us to what lies ahead?” I mean there are all sorts of signs with universally recognized symbols on the road instructing us on what to expect.


There are signs that tell us of a sharp turn ahead. Signs that tell us to slow down. Signs that warn of merging traffic. Signs that tell us to watch out for deer or other animals crossing the road. Signs that tell us of an upcoming intersection. Signs that tell us the road ahead twists and turns. And the list goes on and on. Wouldn
t it be nice, I thought?

It was a fleeting thought. It dawned on me quickly that if we had such signs, that we might miss out on the adventures life offers. We might avoid taking risks, going around those s-curves to see what lies ahead. We might miss out on the beauty, joy, and love that is ours to experience and share. Yes, we might also be able to avoid the pain, sorrow and loss, but life would not be complete without all of it.

If we seek to avoid the pain of loss, we will miss out on the depth of love. If we seek to avoid sorrow, we will never know the fullness of joy. If we avoid the challenging times, we will fail to appreciate the beauty and wonder of the good times.

I am grateful for the signs that help keep me safe as I travel the highways and byways of this awe-inspiring landscape. I am also grateful not to have those directional signs along the journey of life. Not having them requires me, and all of us, to be present in the moment for whatever life brings our way, the good, the bad, and the in-between.

Our opportunity, and at times our challenge, is to see God in all of it, to see everything that we experience along this life journey as just one more step on our path to realizing and embodying our divinity.

On second thought, maybe everything in our lives is a sign that ultimately guides us home, one step at a time, to who and what we truly are. Enjoy the journey!

4 comments :

  1. I am opening & going deeper into the journey and I, with slight and delight filled apprehension, agree that to have signs may just take the joy of fully knowing the depths of life's beauty away. I believe to experience life is truly the Purpose of life, no matter how unnavigateable life can seem. Safe returns. In Love & Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do also get a lot of signs, from our inner guidance. We often ignore them, to our peril.

    ReplyDelete

  3. The trickiest part for me is allowing myself to ignore the most important signs. Thanks for these gifts from Divine Spirit

    ReplyDelete