Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Christianity as a Spiritual Path

While speaking with someone recently, I said, Christianity has always been and continues to be my spiritual path.” I was surprised when I heard myself say it. If you have heard me speak or have followed my blog for a while, you know that I have questioned not only what it means to be a Christian, but my commitment to Christianity as well.

I have long ago left behind the beliefs of the traditional Christian culture in which I was raised, although I recognize that it still lives in my DNA. It lives in the DNA of all of us whose ancestors subscribed to those beliefs. It is inexorable. Once we accept that and make it conscious, we can be present to it, lean into it, and make conscious choices for ourselves about what we believe.

One who holds traditional Christian beliefs might ask me how I can say that Christianity is my spiritual path when I do not believe that Jesus was the only son of God who died on the cross in sacrifice for my sins, was resurrected and ascended into heaven where he sits at the right hand of God. In case you are wondering, yes, I can still recite The Nicene Creed from my days in the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. We did not recite it in the Baptist church.

In fact, someone once said to me, Jesus says who he is in the Bible. If you do not believe that Jesus is who he says he is, you cannot call yourself a Christian.” At the time, I did not care to get into a discussion about who wrote the books of the Christian Scripture or what their intention might have been for writing what they wrote. I assumed it would be futile. So, I let it go.

Reflecting on his question now has caused me to ponder, If I do not believe that Jesus is who the writers claim he is, then what do I believe about Jesus and how can I say that Christianity is my spiritual path?”


Today, I believe that Jesus was a teacher of Spiritual Truth. I believe that he possessed a deep connection with wisdom beyond the empirical knowledge of his day and even of today.

I believe that Jesus understood the mysteries of the universe and did his best to convey his understanding to those who were listening. I believe he knew that there were few who could fully grasp the wisdom he was imparting.

I believe he was an iconoclast who dared to speak out against the hypocrisy of religion and society. He was one who boldly stood up for the disenfranchised and disinherited.

I believe he was one who consciously connected with and embodied the Christ, the power of God within him.

I believe he was a way shower, one who showed us the way to release ourselves from the bonds of fear and separation and reclaim the power within us.

I believe he was the Christ made visible in human form through his words and actions, and that by doing so he exampled what is possible for each of us.

I believe that being a Christian means following the example of Jesus, not worshipping him.

I believe that being a Christian has less to do with what one believes and more to do with what one lives.

Being a Christian means that we acknowledge the Christ that we are, we acknowledge the teachings that can blind each of us to that truth, and we open our eyes to see that every person is the Christ personified - whether or not it is visible to the naked eye.

Being a Christian means that we cease being deaf to the cries of a suffering world and open our ears and our hearts to the needs of the human family. We claim Oneness in our compassion and extend that to all creation.

Being a Christian means that we stop allowing fear to cripple us, to make us weak, to keep us in our comfort zones. It means that we take up our bed and walk. ¹ In other words, get off our meditation cushions and do something.

Being a Christian means that we do all of that so we can be the ones who embody the Christ in this day and time and bring forth what Jesus called the Kin(g)dom of God upon the Earth. ² It is not a realm that is ruled by an earthly power, but a consciousness of Oneness that embraces all within itself and is demonstrated in love for all creation.

When I say that Christianity is my spiritual path that is what I mean. Do I live it perfectly? No. But it gives me a path to follow and a vision to which I can aspire.

It is a daily walk. It is a moment-by-moment choice.

In this moment, I make the commitment to myself and to the world that I will continually ask myself,

How can I be Christ in the world today?”

How can I follow Jesus and his example more clearly?”

What can I do today to manifest the Kin(g)dom of God upon the Earth?”

I invite you to join me in asking these questions. Then I encourage you to share your answers, your beliefs, your spiritual path. Share them with me as well as others. Together we can spread the truth of Christianity as a Spiritual Path.

 

¹ John 5:8

² The Emerging Church – Bruce Sanguin

1 comment :

  1. Beautiful clarity and vision for all of us walking a spiritual path. Thank you and Bless you, David.

    ReplyDelete