Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Recognize, Realize and Reveal Truth

It seems that some lessons are more difficult for me to learn than others. One might think that after experiencing less-than-positive reactions to some of my choices as a minister that I would have learned to present potential changes with clearer communication and empathy.

During my years in ministry, is has been made abundantly clear to me that it is best to approach changes gently, present them as “experiments,” and clearly communicate the “why.”

In the past, I have stimulated upset for people by making unilateral decisions about the space, the order of service and the elements in the service. I understand that making such changes is not always comfortable, especially when we have been doing things a certain way for a long time. Still, I do it.

I promise; I am working on it.

This past Sunday, I introduced a new version of our closing prayer. I received some positive feedback. Still, I am concerned that my actions may have stimulated discomfort for some. Obviously, I made this change without stating that it is an experiment and without offering a “why.” I think it is important for me to share my thinking that prompted the change.

 

Several years ago, when I was at Unity Village taking classes toward my Licensed Unity Teacher credential, I was called upon to give a short talk. I was given a little time to prepare, so I sat in meditation seeking guidance.

 

The words ‘recognize,’ ‘realize,’ and ‘reveal’ came to me as a framework for my talk. These words have stayed with me since. My talk that day explored the equal importance of recognizing the Truth, that is making it conscious in our minds; realizing the Truth, that is taking it into the depth of our being and knowing it for ourselves; and revealing the Truth, that is expressing it through our thoughts, words and actions.



The section of the original
Prayer for Protection by Unity minister and poet laureate James Dillet Freeman that is traditionally recited in many Unity churches and spiritual centers is,

 

The light of God surrounds us.
The love of God enfolds us.
The power of God protects us.
The presence of God watches over us.
Wherever we are, God is.

 

These are statements of Truth that when affirmed as a prayer condition our minds with the Truths they assert. This is “recognizing” the Truth.

 

We, along with many Unity ministries, in an effort to support oneness language, have been using a derivative version, as follows:

 

The light of God surrounds us.
I am the light of God.
The love of God enfolds us.
I am the love of God.
The power of God protects us.
I am the power of God.
The presence of God watches over us.
I am the presence of God.
Where we are, God is.

These additions are also statements of Truth that help to connect us with the Truth of our oneness in God. These are statements of “realization.” They make the Truth personal to us.

If we stop there, as we have been doing for many years now, we miss the essential step of demonstrating these Truths in our thoughts, words, and actions. We do not complete the circle by “revealing” the Truth that we recognize and realize.

For this reason, I chose to experiment with adding phrases that encourage us to take action to ground the Truth that we know. My experimental version is,

The light of God surrounds us.
I am the light of God.

As Light, I illumine my world.


The love of God enfolds us.
I am the love of God.

As Love, I live empathy, understanding and compassion.


The power of God protects us.
I am the power of God.

As Power, I co-create a world of love, unity, and equality for all.

 

The presence of God watches over us.
I am the presence of God.
As Presence, I stand in Truth in every circumstance.

 

Wherever we are, God is.

 

As our fifth basic Unity principle states, “knowledge of Truth is not enough, we must live the Truth we know.” I am hopeful that these additions will help to inspire us to live the Truth we know.

 

Please take some time to be with this experimental change, prayerfully consider these statements, and take them into meditation and contemplation. And let me hear from you. David@UnityDenver.org


I am truly interested and eager to hear your thoughts and responses.

 

 

6 comments :

  1. I love this David. As we re-enter the world post pandemic; my prayer is to stand in my truth and do what is mine to do. This prayer will support me each day. Blessings to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carolyn. Thanks for the supportive feedback.

      Delete
  2. David, I love the "action piece" - it allows me to lean into the message more. Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think your words and those of James Dillet Freeman are equally inspiring. Both stand alone--nicely. And should be spoken as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dick & Bobbe. I'm glad you like it. I hope you are both doing well.

      Delete