Search This Blog

Friday, May 5, 2017

Embodying Christ

In my post last week and in my lesson this past Sunday I talked about what I believe is next for us as we explore the significance of Easter and embrace the transformation that it heralds. In my personal intention and quest for authentic transformation, I am continuing to contemplate the potential and question “How?” In what follows, I share some of my insights.

If we are to truly know ourselves as “new creatures in Christ” (2 Corinthians 5:17) which means to know ourselves as the manifestations of Christ consciousness in body, mind and spirit, it is necessary for us to question the thoughts about ourselves that we allow to limit us. We are called to a higher understanding of who we truly are and to a higher standard of expressing in the world through our thoughts, words and actions.

Take to heart the words of St. Paul from his letter to the church at Philippi.

Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: who being in the form of God thought it not blasphemy to be equal with God.
– Philippians 2: 5-6

In this letter to the Philippians, Paul encourages the members of the community to have the same mind that was in Jesus. From an historical and literal perspective he is asking his followers to be more like Jesus, and rather than exalting themselves, to instead consider all others as equals. Further, to be in service to and treat each other with love and respect. He is calling followers into a higher expression of the Christ principle.

From a metaphysical perspective, Paul, who represents the spiritualized will in humankind, is calling us into a higher consciousness, to awaken to who we truly are as the Christ. He is calling us to know, as Jesus did, that “The father and I are one” (John 10:30), and to release any idea that doing so is heresy.

In his letter to the Romans Paul instructs the community as follows:

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. – Romans 12:2

Our minds need to be renewed because we have succumbed to the limiting fearful thoughts that pervade the collective consciousness. We have believed the things that the world, our parents, our religions, and our society have told us about ourselves. We have taken on the ideas of the world. It is time for us to allow the Christ mind to be our mind, thus renewing our minds so that our lives, in all their manifestations, may be transformed. As we are transformed in body, mind and spirit we serve to assist in the transformation of the world.

We can begin to renew our minds by affirming the truth about ourselves, thus aligning our minds, hearts and spirits with the Absolute Truth. Through daily practice of affirmations, we condition our minds with the thoughts of God Mind. Eventually, they will become realizations of truth, and we will experience the transformation in consciousness and in embodiment.

The affirmations I am currently using are:

The mind that was in Christ Jesus is my mind now.
I live, yet not I but Christ lives as me.
I think, yet not I but Christ thinks as me.
I speak, yet not I but Christ speaks as me.
I see, yet not I but Christ speaks as me.
I hear, yet not I but Christ speaks as me.
I act, yet not I but Christ acts as me.

I encourage you to join me in aligning with these statements. I assure you that as you do you will begin to experience a shift.



Charles Fillmore, the cofounder of Unity said,

In [humanity] a wonderful being is in process of creation. This being is spiritual [human], who will be equal with God, when he overcomes… What metaphysicians most need is a comprehension of the factors that go to make up consciousness. This requires discrimination, judgment, and self-analysis. - The Twelve Powers

It is vitally important in our attainment of Christ consciousness that we develop, increase and maintain our conscious self-awareness (self-analysis). Only through our willingness and capacity to be aware of our thoughts and feelings can we make the decision to change them.

In addition, it is important for us to practice non-attachment. As we become aware of our limiting thoughts and painful emotions it is vital that we allow ourselves to experience them, but equally important that we do not attach to them. If, through our practice of self-awareness, we become aware that we are identified with our thoughts or emotions, we can call upon the indwelling Christ to help us to see our truth, let go and let God.

The Christ awareness abides eternally at the core of our being awaiting our recognition and realization of it. When we intentionally call it into remembrance, it is always there to respond. I recall from my time in the Baptist church hearing the phrase, “Cast your cares up Jesus.” Today, I interpret that to mean, lay it all at the altar of the indwelling Christ and seek to be aware of another way of knowing self or perceiving the situation.

What’s next for us is to make the conscious choices that will further our transformation into to the “spiritual [human], who will be equal with God” that Mr. Fillmore refers to in the quote above. The “spiritual human” is the embodiment of the Christ principle in humanity. It is the fulfillment of the revelation to John who said,

Then I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them. – Revelation 21:3

My hope and my prayer is that we sincerely follow in the footsteps of our brother and way shower, Jesus Christ and proclaim with him, “For this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth” (John 18:37). That we are each the Christ in expression is the truth to which we are here to bear witness. We bear witness by being the very presence of the Christ in all we think, say and do. In doing so, we bring the consciousness and the demonstration of heaven upon the Earth.

Join us on Sunday for our 10:00 service as we explore further what it means to know our unity in God and be the Christ in the world.


1 comment :

  1. This blog is deep and I'm certain I haven't dug enough to understand a sliver of what I am being told. The piece from the blog that sticks most with me is:

    "If, through our practice of self-awareness, we become aware that we are identified with our thoughts or emotions..."

    After which there is essentially the "Then" clause of the If/Then statement. I understand the "Then" part of the sentence, hopefully, but that is not my question. My question is, don't people identify me through my thoughts and emotions? I may not like what I am thinking and emoting, then it's my job to change those thoughts and emotions, but essentially who I am are, in large part, my thoughts and emotions. The biggest pieces left is the actions that I take because of my thoughts and emotions.

    I somehow get the idea that my thoughts and emotions are not what I should be thinking and feeling. I think I maybe misunderstanding this, which would go a long way to prove that my thoughts need to changed a bit. However, this idea that my thoughts and emotions are in need of changing doesn't feel good to me. I like many of my thoughts and emotions; even most of them. Sure I want to change some of them, but I believe I am on a good path. I'm not perfect, certainly based on what I have accomplished in these 60 years of life, but all-in-all I think I'm headed on the path to what I want to be.

    I am confused. Maybe that is not what is meant by "identified with out thoughts and emotions". Indeed Rev, you have given me more to think about this weekend than in your usual blog. For that I am grateful. For you I am grateful. Thank you David!

    ReplyDelete